Taking the next step in my paleontology/earth science studies :)

The Amateur Paleontologist

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

Q. Where do dinosaurs study?

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

@The Amateur Paleontologist congratulations! i was considering doing something similiar once i finished high school, i am also in london so i wouldnt have to move far and it seemed like a great idea, how did you make the decision to do this rather than go down the more conventional career paths ;)

• I found this Informative 1

Thanks so much, all of you :)

On 4/30/2020 at 3:49 PM, will stevenson said:

how did you make the decision to do this rather than go down the more conventional career paths 

For the past 8 years or so, it's been a dream of mine to pursue paleontology research professionally; and I felt that going through the traditional Undergrad-Master-PhD path is the best way for me to achieve that dream :)

On 4/30/2020 at 10:49 PM, jpc said:

Someday you may have to change your Forum name though.

Ah, not just yet ;)

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

On 4/27/2020 at 2:45 PM, The Amateur Paleontologist said:

Hey TFF

Hope you're all doing well :) Posting here to share some bit of good news in these strange times..

Since 2011-2012, I've been really passionate about paleontology - it's just so fascinating how we can piece together our past and the past of all life on Earth... Unfortunately, paleontology isn't exactly something taught in middle school and high school, so over the past few years I'd mostly been self-teaching this science (of course with the help of this great Forum :) ). 

But here's the thing: a while ago, I finished my end-of-high school exams, where I got rather good results. Around that time, I'd applied for several undergraduate courses in geology, all in UK universities (Bristol, University College London, Leeds, Royal Holloway).

Now I've finally heard from most of the universities I'd applied to... And University College London, my top choice, has just given me a firm offer to take an Earth Science undergraduate course, starting in September :D :D

I'm so happy! I'll finally be able take the next step in my geology and paleontology studies - and what better place to do that, than London, a place with a great museum, leading paleontology experts, and not too far from some neat fossil sites!

I'm really thrilled about this!!

5ea7511e14a0d_ScreenShot2020-04-27at23_36_35.png.fdc1371e339342e3f5732360cdaf45fe.png

That is awesome!!

Cephalopods rule!!

7 hours ago, The Amateur Paleontologist said:

Thanks so much, all of you :)

For the past 8 years or so, it's been a dream of mine to pursue paleontology research professionally; and I felt that going through the traditional Undergrad-Master-PhD path is the best way for me to achieve that dream :)

Ah, not just yet ;)

nice. i would like to do something like that someday, in the meantime, i live only a half hour from the place here you will study, i go there for the geology fair each year! maybe after coronsvirus is all over we could go fossil hunting together:D of course if you're busy that'sunderstandable

11 hours ago, will stevenson said:

nice. i would like to do something like that someday, in the meantime, i live only a half hour from the place here you will study, i go there for the geology fair each year! maybe after coronsvirus is all over we could go fossil hunting together:D of course if you're busy that'sunderstandable

We could definitely go fossil hunting from time to time :) During weekends for instance. I mean it's rather cheap to get by train to a good number of good fossil sites in south England :)

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile