Belemnite ID request

Ruger9a

Here is another item from my unidentified drawer I'm hoping someone will be able to put a name on.  Thanks.

Belemnite1.jpg

Belemnite2.jpg

Edited by Ruger9a
correct data

It looks like a classic Belemnitella mucronata (though Belemnitella species can be tricky without accurate stratigraphy and Cretaceous ones aren't my area but I love them!)

• I found this Informative 1

Tarquin

Since it's from your unidentified drawer, I assume you don't have locality data?

I find it very hard to distinguish Belemnitella species without having an idea where they came from.  Belemnitella mucronata is a European species.  It is very similar to Belemnitella americana from the US east coast.  It is also quite similar to other European species such as Belemnitella junior.  Individuals are especially hard to confidently ID, you really need population samples because of the overlap in morphologies.  Very accurate stratigraphic data may substitute for that to an extent, as different species occur at different levels.

Don

• I found this Informative 3

2 hours ago, FossilDAWG said:

Since it's from your unidentified drawer, I assume you don't have locality data?

I find it very hard to distinguish Belemnitella species without having an idea where they came from.  Belemnitella mucronata is a European species.  It is very similar to Belemnitella americana from the US east coast.  It is also quite similar to other European species such as Belemnitella junior.  Individuals are especially hard to confidently ID, you really need population samples because of the overlap in morphologies.  Very accurate stratigraphic data may substitute for that to an extent, as different species occur at different levels.

Don

@FossilDAWG

Thanks Don.  It came from Germany, that's all the seller posted for the description.  Other then the price and date (09), that's all I have.