Base of tooth consolidation

Dracarys

Hi All,

I am very new to prepping, so thank you in advance. On the base of some of the small teeth that I have, I like to place superglue to prevent "crumbling" of loose particles. The superglue works great but leaves a shiny/glossy appearance. Is there something better to use? I have Vinac beads that were given to me but not sure how to use it in that capacity. I placed superglue on the left tooth and nothing yet on the right. 

Thanks again 

IMG_5579.jpg

Mix the Vinac with ethyl alcohol to a 50:1 ratio of solvent to plastic.

This makes a very thin solution that you can drop or brush on. The alcohol takes a while to evaporate but will leave a more matte finish than the superglue or Vinac dissolved in acetone.

• I found this Informative 2

15 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

Mix the Vinac with ethyl alcohol to a 50:1 ratio of solvent to plastic.

This makes a very thin solution that you can drop or brush on. The alcohol takes a while to evaporate but will leave a more matte finish than the superglue or Vinac dissolved in acetone.

Thanks! What is the percentage of ethyl alcohol? What is a safe bottle to keep it on?

Everyone uses a different technique..  When I collect and see a tooth I will put a few drops of consoldant on it to avoid breakage especially if the matrix is damp.  Acetone with an Xacto knife easily removes the sand/excess glue back home.

If it was not field hardened I first use a consoldant on both sides to harden the tooth.   Using a cotton swab I then dab acetone on the base to soften any matrix and try to remove it with an Xacto knife or Pin Vise depending on size.  I then put a drop of consolidant down the center to harden the base.  If its too shiny I'll use a swab with acetone and just dab  the base until dull.

The field consoldant I use is Paleobond Field Consoldant.  Back home I would use Acetone/Vinac at a ratio of 50-1 weight.

• I found this Informative 2

26 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Everyone uses a different technique..  When I collect and see a tooth I will put a few drops of consoldant on it to avoid breakage especially if the matrix is damp.  Acetone with an Xacto knife easily removes the sand/excess glue back home.

If it was not field hardened I first use a consoldant on both sides to harden the tooth.   Using a cotton swab I dab acetone on the base to soften any matrix and try to remove it with an Xacto knife or Pin Vise depending on size.  I then put a drop of consolidant down the center to harden the base.  If its too shiny I'll use a swab with acetone and just dab  the base until dull.

The field consoldant I use is Paleobond Field Consoldant.  Back home I would use Acetone/Vinac at a ratio of 50-1 weight.

Perfect! I will try both suggestions and see which works best.  Thank you again