Trilobite — real or fake?

Joannamichelle

I posted for the first time today to get some help identifying some fossils my child found on her first fossil hunt, but while I’m here I figure I may as well get some opinions on this trilobite Ive got displayed — of all places — in my bathroom. 
In 2017 I was studying abroad short-term in Morocco (Fes, Rabat and Chefchaouen) and I passed by a stall in the souks that had a bucket full of various rocks and fossils. While I don’t know much about fossils, I did know that trilobites are often faked in Morocco, but decided that for what I was paying it really wouldn’t be worth the trouble for a faker AND it wasn’t a big risk to me if it was fake because I just liked how it looked. I brought it home and put it in my bathroom and have called it my “fake trilobite” ever since. However, since I’m now incidentally on this forum, I figured it would be fun to see what the expert opinion is! 

There are no little bubble holes that I can see, which I’ve read is the most obvious indication of a fake. There also seems to be caked dirt crusted in the crevices, and the entire thing seems to have a small area where it’s splitting lengthwise. Attaching best photos I can muster. Double A battery best I can do for scale.  Don’t be afraid to hurt my feelings — I paid almost nothing and just love the way it looks anyway. 

B4DF8180-9413-4E3D-B385-0F09F9A41DAE.jpeg

672B2D8E-65D0-47AD-BAA0-451F2ADDC656.jpeg

CAFA28CF-3FF6-4F2B-B834-0B5452AB7FB1.jpeg

6A0ADD29-759C-4A14-8A23-2977330D0F39.jpeg

5A508908-1735-458E-AB17-2B14471F7331.jpeg

5A35E217-AF24-4FCB-95E9-306DBE843DD9.jpeg

A4BEF9D0-1BFC-4E9F-AB9B-A5D07FBAD285.jpeg

10 minutes ago, Pterygotus said:

I would say real :).

It would be hilarious if it’s real and I’ve been essentially displaying it next to my toothbrush the last 3 years haha. But yeah I can’t imagine anyone putting in the details to fake what looks like a kind of not-great specimen (with the cracks, etc)

Any idea what kind of trilobite it is if it’s real? 

Flexicalymene ouzregui. They are particularly common and found in nodules, but often are also found broken and may be glued together.

• I found this Informative 2

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Looks real to me too. That kind is common enough it’s not faked very often. I’d be confident in taking the fake off of its name. LOL! It look like Kane beat me to the identification though! 

3 minutes ago, Kane said:

Flexicalymene ouzregui. They are particularly common and found in nodules, but often are also found broken and may be glued together.

I should’ve studied something much cooler than public policy in college. I’d love to be the kind of person who knows the specific names for trilobites haha! Thank you!! 

3 minutes ago, Randyw said:

Looks real to me too. That kind is common enough it’s not faked very often. I’d be confident in taking the fake off of its name. LOL! It look like Kane beat me to the identification though! 

My poor little trilobite! I’ve misjudged him. I suppose I should find a way to gently wipe the toothpaste specks from his body then haha. You guys are great! 

5 minutes ago, Joannamichelle said:

I should’ve studied something much cooler than public policy in college. I’d love to be the kind of person who knows the specific names for trilobites haha! Thank you!! 

You can always be both. One of my specializations is local government, planning and policy. :D 

• I found this Informative 3

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

28 minutes ago, Joannamichelle said:

I’d love to be the kind of person who knows the specific names for trilobites haha

But you can be! You and your little one have embarked on what can be a lifelong journey of discovery! What can be better then learning together?! Of course with a little online searching so you can keep her impressed with mommies knowledge!

12 minutes ago, Joannamichelle said:

My poor little trilobite! I’ve misjudged him. I suppose I should find a way to gently wipe the toothpaste specks from his body then haha. You guys are great! 

It just shows the trilobite cared for its dental hygiene. :P I’m sure a cloth with lukewarm water can take care of the toothpaste though (and if I’m wrong I know someone will correct me).

4 minutes ago, Randyw said:

But you can be! You and your little one have embarked on what can be a lifelong journey of discovery! What can be better then learning together?! Of course with a little online searching so you can keep her impressed with daddy’s knowledge!

Ahem...may I direct your attention to the username and gender of the OP;)

O.M.G! I knew that too! Somehow I had a disconnect between my brain and my typing finger!:fear:

Hello from Fes, Morocco and a very warm welcome to TFF:)

The flanks of the pygidium look smooth to me, so, unless they're just eroded, I think it's actually Colpocoryphe grandis. 

And it's real. 

• I found this Informative 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

4 minutes ago, Randyw said:

O.M.G! I knew that too! Somehow I had a disconnect between my brain and my typing finger!:fear:

It happens! :P Just having a bit of fun, I hope I didn’t offend.

Hi,

9 hours ago, Joannamichelle said:

I think to remove the toothpaste on your trilobite, you can brush it underwater with ... your toothbrush !  :heartylaugh:

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

18 hours ago, Joannamichelle said:

I posted for the first time today to get some help identifying some fossils my child found on her first fossil hunt, but while I’m here I figure I may as well get some opinions on this trilobite Ive got displayed — of all places — in my bathroom. 

Welcome to the forum! Doesn't everyone display fossils in the bathroom? I always keep a few coprolites in mine. :D