minnbuckeye

Decorah Shale Trilobite Cephalon???

piranha

Ceraurinus sp. is reported from the Decorah Shale:

image.png.fd195ee243c7fc32df4e056013b5f13f.png

minnbuckeye

@piranha, Thanks!! Initially I considered the possibility of Ceraurinus species but discounted it because of the pits in the preglabellar field/ eye?. I thought Ceraurinus had bumps. I have since looked at examples from the Decorah Shale and see none that have the tiny nodules all the way down the genial spine nor the pits.  I am still confused. 

Mike

piranha
2 hours ago, minnbuckeye said:

@piranha, Thanks!! Initially I considered the possibility of Ceraurinus species but discounted it because of the pits in the preglabellar field/ eye?. I thought Ceraurinus had bumps. I have since looked at examples from the Decorah Shale and see none that have the tiny nodules all the way down the genial spine nor the pits.  I am still confused.

Ceraurinus cheeks are pitted:

"Ornaments of a different type, consisting of perforations of the test, have been noted in several species. Rather large perforations extend through the cheek lobes in Ceraurinus,
Pseudosphaerexinella and Holia. These are of a type long known and described in many species of Ceraurus and Ceraurinus."

image.thumb.png.ff64b5fadfe94130b49f657e6a12f94b.png

text from:

Evitt, William R. 1950

Trilobites from the Lower Lincolnshire Limestone near Strasburg, Shenandoah County, Virginia.

PhD Thesis, The Johns Hopkins University, 392 pp.

minnbuckeye

Thanks!

GerryK

The free cheek is large and the ornamentation is characteristic of Gabriceraurus herrmanni, which does occur in the Decorah.

piranha
39 minutes ago, GerryK said:

The free cheek is large and the ornamentation is characteristic of Gabriceraurus herrmanni, which does occur in the Decorah.

I looked at this one too quickly and did not account for the scale or the fact that is not a genal spine.  Gabriceraurus indeed! :fistbump:

minnbuckeye

@piranha, @GerryKYour help is appreciated. My confusion on ID was based on assuming the pointed end was in fact a genial spine. Now, knowing the  piece showing in the matrix is anatomically a free cheek, your suggestions make sense!!!!