Claw or tooth

Blakerichards

I have a claw or tooth I’m looking to see what it is. Is real or fake? 

E5ACF444-2C26-49C2-BE55-55A4AC37750E.jpeg

33 minutes ago, Blakerichards said:

I found it in a vehicle I purchased 

Lucky you :P!

Looks like a real sloth claw core to me.

Per our rules, The Forum does not appraise the value of fossls.

It is more than can be accomplished online from a few photos. 

• I found this Informative 2

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

5 hours ago, Blakerichards said:

I have a claw or tooth I’m looking to see what it’s worth or what it is. Is real or fake? 

Ok can you steer me in a direction where maybe I could get it appraised?

Woah sloth claw cores are quite uncommon fossils, that's incredible.

If you are trying to figure out how much it is worth you can look at prices they have sold for, there are a few listed currently on a certain famous auction site. ;)

However, if you found it in a car you purchased I would recommend you contact the person who sold you the car about it. It may have been the prize of their collection accidentally left in the car. Personally, I would look into returning it but that's up to you. 

• I found this Informative 2

It was a long time ago and I forgot all about it. recently found it while moving and I am just trying to see what’s out there 

thank you

10 minutes ago, Blakerichards said:

It was a long time ago and I forgot all about it. recently found it while moving and I am just trying to see what’s out there 

thank you

I see my bad, I assumed it would have been a recent purchase :DOH:

Let's assume that this fossil was found in Florida:

You need to search the internet for similar looking claws.

The search for "Paramylodon Harlani claw" or "Megalonyx jeffersoni claw" which are the 2 most likely Florida fossil sloths that might have produced this claw.

Exact measurements of the length would be helpful in your searches.

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Wow, so glad I finally found you. That was my car! I’ll pm you my address so you can send it to me 

You serious think I would fall for that? Give me a year make and model of the car and location where I bought the car from and what year I purchased the car 

19 minutes ago, Blakerichards said:

You serious think I would fall for that? Give me a year make and model of the car and location where I bought the car from and what year I purchased the car 

I think the response by garyc was made in jest. ;) 

• I found this Informative 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

7 hours ago, Kane said:

I think the response by garyc was made in jest. ;) 

I know the response by garyc was made in jest. ;)

Unfortunately sometimes humor, like sarcasm, falls flat on the internet.  It all depends on the mood of the recipient.

Don

8 hours ago, Blakerichards said:

A 1985 DeLorean, black, modified to use biofuel.  Purchased from Marty McFly when he was down on his luck in 1987, in front of City Hall.

Don

16 hours ago, garyc said:

Wow, so glad I finally found you. That was my car! I’ll pm you my address so you can send it to me 

:heartylaugh: Nice try! :default_rofl:
@blakerichards one of the first things you’re going to find out about us here is beside from being a wealth of inFormation we love to kid each other!

@Blakerichards had to give it a shot. Of course I was kidding. That’s a reeeeaaaally nice sloth claw. I’ve found a few, but none with the sheath still in tact like yours. They are an uncommon fossil. I recommend you either display it or find a proper home for it with someone who will treasure it like I treasure mine. 

4 hours ago, FossilDAWG said:

I know the response by garyc was made in jest. ;)

Unfortunately sometimes humor, like sarcasm, falls flat on the internet.  It all depends on the mood of the recipient.

Don

A 1985 DeLorean, black, modified to use biofuel.  Purchased from Marty McFly when he was down on his luck in 1987, in front of City Hall.

Don

Did you ever get that flux capacitor fixed??

1 hour ago, Blakerichards said:

As per Forum rules, the member to member sales subforum is restricted to members who have produced a number of substantive posts. Any mention of sales outside the subforum is prohibited. Thank you for your cooperation. :) 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

19 hours ago, Kane said:
19 hours ago, Blakerichards said:

As per Forum rules, the member to member sales subforum is restricted to members who have produced a number of substantive posts. Any mention of sales outside the subforum is prohibited. Thank you for your cooperation. :) 

This is confusing, at best.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!