Juvenile nanotyrannus and T Rex

Dracarys

Hi all! I just obtained an 8 mm juvenile T. rex tooth and have compared it to my 13 mm juvenile nanotyrannus tooth. Even though they are located in different positions in the jaw, there is a remarkable difference in the two teeth. I just don’t understand how these cannot be two different species?! The debate goes on...

914D5D56-C000-4E98-81D7-623E6940934D.jpeg

FD0E0B74-0CDA-472E-8E45-52D3D1EB8CA0.jpeg

45B1474C-47AE-4B13-90E4-37861B96A25D.jpeg

65AA99F1-8B63-4C98-8D43-B84591394C39.jpeg

344CDC61-7719-4A0D-9886-BBE032DC7B49.jpeg

3866EB3D-FFF2-4341-BFA1-2AC416748C02.jpeg

• I found this Informative 10

Beautiful teeth! Really interesting comparison! 

Nice pics. I think the same whenever I compare my Nano teeth to my juvenile Rexes

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

Very nice teeth...call them what you please there are clearly two morphology of tyrannosaurid teeth.  They exist with real baby teeth, juvie teeth like yours, sub-adult, and adult up to a certain size.   Its not rocket science if most dinosaur collectors can see it.  Thanks for posting. 

• I found this Informative 1

You raise the use of a stick and putty to a new level.  Excellent representation of these two morphologies 

thank you all. I love the wear on the juvie Rex tooth. It was chomping hard for a little guy!

Those are beautiful teeth.

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

14 hours ago, Dracarys said:

Even though they are located in different positions in the jaw

Might not be.  Remember the Morphology of Nanotyrannus dentary teeth are consistent through jaw while Trex dentary teeth vary throughout the jaw

Beautiful teeth, cool comparison!

10 hours ago, Troodon said:

Might not be.  Remember the Morphology of Nanotyrannus dentary teeth are consistent through jaw while Trex dentary teeth vary throughout the jaw

Oh, didn’t know. Thanks. I guess that means I need you to now send me an article on nanotyrannus dentition if you have one! :) 

20 minutes ago, Dracarys said:

nanotyrannus dentition if you have one! :) 

Very little has been published hopefully when the Duelers wind up in a museum something will.   Tom Carr has been working on a monograph for Jane so if it ever gets published its a start, just change the name from Juvie Trex to Nanotyrannus.  No idea if it includes a dentition.  Pete L might have something worth dropping him a line.  His Tyrannosaurus book has a little on teeth but not a dentition. 

• I found this Informative 3

• 5 weeks later...

Hi all, slightly off topic but this is the latest post i could find relating to nanotyrannus but has anyone noticed that Wikipedia has taken down the nanotyrannus section and it's apparently merged with Trex ? :DOH::default_faint::shakehead:

I guess it is what it is...

2020-06-12 13_02_21-Window.png

5d738606eab6e_2018-11-1322_54_57-Greenshot-newlogo.png

14 hours ago, Jaimin013 said:

Hi all, slightly off topic but this is the latest post i could find relating to nanotyrannus but has anyone noticed that Wikipedia has taken down the nanotyrannus section and it's apparently merged with Trex ? :DOH::default_faint::shakehead:

I guess it is what it is...

2020-06-12 13_02_21-Window.png

I can't believe that. That's terrible!

19 hours ago, Dracarys said:

I can't believe that. That's terrible!

I didn't think they would do that but I guess it is what it is now. It's clearly a different species so should rightfully be under a section of its own. I guess we just need smoking gun to show they are not the same for Nanotyrannus to go back on its own.

5d738606eab6e_2018-11-1322_54_57-Greenshot-newlogo.png