Interesting Aguja Formation bone

fossilsonwheels

I should preface this by saying interesting to me. I am also testing out my scientific language. I’ve been studying lol 

It is from the Aguja Formation and it looks most like the distal? end of a Theropod toe bone. I think phalanx is the right choice of word to describe what this. 

This must have come from a fairly large animal. It is 2” long but not complete. It is basically split in half and is 1.25” at its widest.  I have a few complete small theropod phalanx bones and this does look similar but much bigger. I question myself though because I would expect this to appear to have been more hollow maybe. 

I don’t think there is enough for an actual ID but one worth posting here for sure. It’s actually a pretty cool bone and was a bargain too. 

Pic 2 is the interior as seen from the same angle as the exterior in pic 1

Pic 3 - proximal? end viewed straight on

Pic 4 - distal ? end viewed straight on

and feel free to point out errors in the verbiage lol

B5A9535B-046D-48F0-B934-BE847810EF72.jpeg

C373F127-7743-4CCC-9B0E-FE6D299AD657.jpeg

35B4EB2E-AAAA-4543-8021-B3F1F16C1E9A.jpeg

01F6EA33-752A-4AFE-89C2-72E3474D3363.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1

First Photo is: Lateral View

Not convinced its a phalanx, the distal end is to flat, there should be evidence of a notch to articulate with the next bone.   Could be a Metatarsal.  If theropod where is the evidence of a hollow bone? 

• I found this Informative 1

Lack of hollow interior is something I mentioned in the post as throwing me lol I looked at some metatarsals. I can see where you’re coming from.