Emthegem

6 minutes ago, Emthegem said:

Yeah, it's kind of maddening, the local creeks are chock-full of this kind of stuff, with a nice balance of shells, nautiloids and crinoid pieces. I noticed you're from oakville, if you're interested try checking out Credit River, right around and just north of the U of T mississauga campus there are a ton of really cool corals that I've collected from there. No pick was even needed as they seem to just be strewn about all over the rocky shore deposits.

The best luck I've had personally has been in Etobicoke creek, there just seems to be a never ending supply of nautiloids!

Do you guys get a lot of cool stuff in Oakville? @markjw

It stops around 16 mile creek, but still lots to see. See my post here for complete Oakville guide:

Otherwise, my experiences are almost exactly the same as yours.

• I found this Informative 2

On 2020-05-26 at 4:15 AM, FossilDAWG said:

Have you had that specimen prepped yet?  I recall the ID was a bit up in the air, although tilting strongly towards Iocrinus, but we needed to see the plate arrangement on the calyx to be sure.  I suspect you might have one or two other calyxes more buried on the plate.

Don

I have not yet. I know from what has been reported here by other members is that the limestone is going to be difficult to work with.

On 2020-05-26 at 4:15 AM, FossilDAWG said:

Have you had that specimen prepped yet?  I recall the ID was a bit up in the air, although tilting strongly towards Iocrinus, but we needed to see the plate arrangement on the calyx to be sure.  I suspect you might have one or two other calyxes more buried on the plate.

Don

I also have not looked at this specimen for a long time.