Help identifying teeth found in Venice area

JessieMaeT

Hi! I just returned home from the Venice Beach area in Florida and I was curious if anyone one could tell me what these broken fragments could have been. I’m a newbie here so any other recommendations on how to identify are welcomed :)

thanks in advance ;) 

EA398587-E90C-4FCC-82F9-741AA888FF33.jpeg

Edited by JessieMaeT
Need to turn. On notifications

I will get a few but this will be hard to correctly ID all of them.

Top left is definitely Mako.  Next 3 on Top line , all Meg fragments

Lower left is likely Mako, if not Mako ,then Meg

Lower 2nd from left is a Sting Ray barb

Lower 3rd from left is Meg

Lower 4th from left is a Sand Tiger.

Can not focus well on lower right.  Need more photos of it

• I found this Informative 6
  • I Agree 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Thank you so much for replying! I’ve attached another photo of it along with a photo of something my 2 and 4 year old found that I thought was a rock, but I’m not sure now?

E27F4F2F-AAC2-44F4-ADFC-A11124F0F02E.thumb.jpeg.e032e903f58871bf2ef4f2377b1612db.jpeg66367A7A-DADB-42D2-9905-A029C03913D2.thumb.jpeg.807b57af9ed2ded06e049fa7b1aea72f.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1

OK,   Last photo, different view !!! The only shark that has a similar pattern in the serrations of its teeth is Hemipristis serra - Snaggletooth Shark. Look at the tip.

IMG_2973Horse2017.jpg.d7d9d8d7c5590fe37b3a1aedbedf7cdc.jpg

In your top photo,  the top fossil is a sting ray individual tooth , likely the most common fossil in Florida.  It makes up with numerous identical teeth a Sting Ray mouthplate.  The fossil immediately below it is a fragment of the Stingray mouthplate...

What a wonderful world  that has such fossils that amaze your 2 and 4 year olds

• I found this Informative 3

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

We had so much fun looking for them. They did actually find shark teeth by themselves too! I was so excited!

thank you so much for your help :)

On 5/27/2020 at 10:14 PM, JessieMaeT said:

Thank you so much for replying! I’ve attached another photo of it along with a photo of something my 2 and 4 year old found that I thought was a rock, but I’m not sure now?66367A7A-DADB-42D2-9905-A029C03913D2.thumb.jpeg.807b57af9ed2ded06e049fa7b1aea72f.jpeg

Could be a worn squalodon tooth, but maybe seal. This is a good one although worn

To be specific, the ray spine is a myliobatid spine, 

likely myliobatis (if like uk then dixoni but don’t know otherwise);)

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, JessieMaeT said:

My son found this today, can anyone help?

This one is from the largest shark... The thing encircled is called a bourlette... Only Megalodon has one so large and obvious.   Congratulations to your son. !!

MegBourlette.JPG.e15da5b1157227520c356d2d7a0c6988.JPG

• Enjoyed 1

Oh yay! My son just turn 5 and sold it to me for a piece of chocolate today (haha)

• Enjoyed 1

2 hours ago, JessieMaeT said:

Oh yay! My son just turn 5 and sold it to me for a piece of chocolate today (haha)

:heartylaugh::DOH:

• Enjoyed 1

1 hour ago, JessieMaeT said:

Is this anything? 

68B59B58-2484-4352-9062-374420918A52.jpeg

I’m not positive but I think it’s a worn out shell fragment.

• I Agree 2

Thank you! I found this one today...is it also a megalodon? Or a mako?

8F169D10-C207-4E11-9DE9-315F10A756E2.jpeg

5 hours ago, JessieMaeT said:

Thank you! I found this one today...is it also a megalodon? Or a mako?

Not too versed in sharks teeth, unfortunately, but this one looks like a Meg to me, based on the straightness of the tooth, straight thick root, and, again, the bourlette.

• I Agree 1

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

• 2 years later...
On 5/27/2020 at 8:28 PM, JessieMaeT said:

Hi! I just returned home from the Venice Beach area in Florida and I was curious if anyone one could tell me what these broken fragments could have been. I’m a newbie here so any other recommendations on how to identify are welcomed :)

thanks in advance ;) 

EA398587-E90C-4FCC-82F9-741AA888FF33.jpeg

I'm curious about the piece next to the quarter. I found a piece like that in venice beach. I have no idea what it is.

35 minutes ago, iwannafindit said:

I'm curious about the piece next to the quarter. I found a piece like that in venice beach. I have no idea what it is.

This post is a couple years old.  Please start a new post with a picture of your find, size, and general location where it was found.

Fin Lover

image.png.e69a5608098eeb4cd7d1fc5feb4dad1e.png image.png.e6c66193c1b85b1b775526eb958f72df.png image.png.65903ff624a908a6c80f4d36d6ff8260.png

image.png.7cefa5ccc279142681efa4b7984dc6cb.png

My favorite things about fossil hunting: getting out of my own head, getting into nature and, if I’m lucky, finding some cool souvenirs.

On 5/27/2020 at 9:59 PM, Shellseeker said:

I will get a few but this will be hard to correctly ID all of them.

Top left is definitely Mako.  Next 3 on Top line , all Meg fragments

Lower left is likely Mako, if not Mako ,then Meg

Lower 2nd from left is a Sting Ray barb

Lower 3rd from left is Meg

Lower 4th from left is a Sand Tiger.

Can not focus well on lower right.  Need more photos of it

Shellseeker..that's what I'm seeing. My first thought on the last one was dolphin, I guess by the shape.

On 5/28/2020 at 12:03 AM, FossilizedJello said:

Could be a worn squalodon tooth, but maybe seal. This is a good one although worn

10 hours ago, Donna Straw said:

Shellseeker..that's what I'm seeing. My first thought on the last one was dolphin, I guess by the shape.

Sorry for delay,  Flew home yesterday....

Thank you , Donna...   Sometimes,  I make snap judgements and should be more careful... shark teeth from Venice beach... lumped this one in with the rest...  I should have also considered Dolphin,  although I find almost zero dolphin teeth with serrations...  This is not a shark tooth, Let's check with @Boesse

MaybeDolphin.thumb.jpg.f39cd2fd8273f6ce1287ca7e87b56b40.jpg

Given that there's enamel up here in the yellow oval, this has to be a shark tooth - @Shellseeker is correct about Hemipristis serra.

image.png.3f0258acfe9f92573147ebcd2878a399.png

• I found this Informative 3