Southern California Eocene shark teeth

TRout

For a couple years I’ve noticed an exposed fossil oyster bed in a creek that I regularly survey for work. Recently, I decided to take a closer look to see if there were any interesting fossils besides oysters and found several shark and ray teeth weathering out of the bedrock. 

I believe these fossils are part of the middle Eocene coldwater sandstone, found in a creek in Southern California’s Conception Coast. I haven’t been able to find much literature describing the fossil shark species found in this formation so I’m not going to try to ID them just yet. 

B6F1C0C6-D044-4B28-A912-C5490C756F67.jpeg

309CACF3-4DCA-47E1-AEE6-C2DD1974AC57.jpeg

9C2078DA-604B-459F-B648-6635A3871B74.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1

That rock looks harder than the shark teeth.  It will be tough to get some decent specimens unless you can break down the matrix somehow.  I don't see any obvious Eocene teeth in the photos but then they are a bit weathered.  They appear to be sand tigers and/or early makos plus at least one myliobatid tooth.

Offhand, I can't think of a paper on the Coldwater Formation.  I don't recall a paleontologist mentioning it but can see if I have or can find anything on it.

Jess

• I found this Informative 4

Interesting post, I have heard of people finding teeth in the Cachuma Valley. I wonder if this is the same formation?