Missouri Burlington Formation hunt 5-27-20

Jackson g

Hello there! As it's getting nicer outside and things slowly turning back to normal, many of us are able to go out and enjoy the weather again. I journeyed to one of my favorite Burlington exposures just 10 minutes from my home. As it was so nice outside, I ran into a lot of friendly fishermen. Not unlike usual, its just me there for the fossils! My favorite spot I'm heading to has me walking a few miles before I start to hit the sweet spots. Along the few mile walk there, it looks like the beavers have been busy.

20200529_162649-1.jpg

You can tell as you approach the Burlington limestone alone by all the bits and pieces scattered along the nearby land.

20200527_180340-2.jpg

Today I decided to hunt the bank along the shore, and a layer about 10 feet above it. I have had good luck before finding some calyxs eroded out of the limestone by the waters edge, but the layer above requires splitting stone and further prep with air tools. All in all, I spent about 5 hours out fossil hunting. I've got about 75% of the finds cleaned up so far with the air scribe. Been cleaning as I go. A few of them still needs some scribe work, but I bagged a great variety!

20200530_131542.jpg

Species in the first picture. Crinoids: Azygocrinus rotundus, Uperocrinus pyriformis, Aorocrinus parvus, unknown species. Blastoids: Schizoblastus sayi

20200530_133342.jpg

Actinocrinites multiradiatus

20200530_133820.jpg

Very weathered Dorycrinus missouriensis (the famous 5 spined crinoid)

20200530_135545.jpg

Uperocrinus pyriformis 

Although the focus was on crinoids, I wanted to share my favorite piece of solitary and colonial corals found on the trip as well. I know some of you like pretty, sparkly corals. B)

I like the crystalized caverns displayed in this one.

20200528_110155.jpg

And who doesn't like naturally exposed, colorful coral sections.

20200528_110139.jpg

That's all for this trip. I hope you all are able to get back out there, and enjoy yourselves and nature as soon as possible. Thanks for journeying along!

• I found this Informative 15

Those are exquisite! Congratulations. Burlington Formation certainly produces some amazing specimens. Great that you enjoy walking miles to get them.  

• I found this Informative 1

Great finds! Nice color on the coral.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Thanks for bringing us alon

3 hours ago, Jackson g said:

Thanks for journeying along!

Thanks for bring us along!  I have always found Burlington crinoids very attractive.  :wub: :wub: :wub:

I'm seriously jealous that you live so close to such an excellent source.

Don

nice finds!

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Great finds!!! And just out of your back door. I have to drive 4 hours to find the Burlington (but it is worth it). How far from Keokuk are you?

Mike

Those are exquisite echinoderms!  Congratulations, and thanks for showing us!

Wow! After seeing this and you Pretty Shells thread, I am envious of your hunting grounds! :envy:

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

16 hours ago, minnbuckeye said:

Great finds!!! And just out of your back door. I have to drive 4 hours to find the Burlington (but it is worth it). How far from Keokuk are you?

Mike

I am very lucky! I have a closeby exposure about a 35 minute drive away. Sorry your drive is so far away, but I've seen some of those awesome crinoids you've collected there. They are very nice as well. I really like that Strotocrinus you entered in the FOTM. I can only seem to find radial/ basal plates from them here. I hope to collect Burlington material from other states as well someday.

21 hours ago, FossilDAWG said:

Thanks for bringing us alon

Thanks for bring us along!  I have always found Burlington crinoids very attractive.  :wub: :wub: :wub:

I'm seriously jealous that you live so close to such an excellent source.

Don

It is a treat indeed! I'm only 45 minutes away from Kansas City, so if you are ever in the area I could take you to an exposure, or point out one where I'd say you have a 100% success rate of finding crinoids. I have a lot too, so if you ever need a crinoid or two I can share. :)

8 hours ago, FossilNerd said:

Wow! After seeing this and you Pretty Shells thread, I am envious of your hunting grounds! :envy:

Glad to share some sweet spots if you are ever in the area!

That place seems like the gift that keeps on giving. :raindance:

The echinoderms are the highlight I think, but it's all nice stuff.