Show Us Your Eurypterids !

pleecan

Tiny Eurypterid from Fiddlers Green / Bertie Formation . Collected 2005 Fort Erie, ON Canada.

*** With apologies this subject should be under General Discussions. ***

Can the Administrators assist in the subject relocation. Thanks. PL

post-2446-12603234693819_thumb.jpg

Edited by pleecan
  • Enjoyed 1

Yep PL, that's a really sweet little one. Very nice!

I've never been fortunate enough to have ever found one but here's an incomplete head with partial flippers from New York that I got from somewhere/somebody for $12--no other provenance info. Is it possible to ID down to Genus from something this incomplete? Regards, Chris

post-1240-12603309842381_thumb.jpg

Tiny Eurypterid from Fiddlers Green / Bertie Formation . Collected 2005 Fort Erie, ON Canada.

*** With apologies this subject should be under General Discussions. ***

Can the Administrators assist in the subject relocation. Thanks. PL

Shouldn't this be under "Member Collections?"

Nice little specimen in any case.

I've never been fortunate enough to have ever found one but here's an incomplete head with partial flippers from New York that I got from somewhere/somebody for $12--no other provenance info. Is it possible to ID down to Genus from something this incomplete? Regards, Chris

There's a quarry in Herkimer County, NY which is said to be nearly exhausted (Fiddlers Green Fm.). As far as I know, it's the main site for eurypterids in the region. Nearly all the eurypterids known from there belong to the species Eurypterus remipes. Yours has a head shaped just like the others I've seen but you'd have to ask a sea scorpion fan. Collectors of the quarry have identified pieces of a much bigger genus as well. Sometimes plant fossils are found with the prized find being an actual primitive scorpion (eurypterids weren't true scorpions - relatives in that both groups are arthropods)

Pleecan..... What a strange looking creature, and a nice fossil....I can see why your attracted to these I like it.... is there anything comparable to it alive today?, it also looks very 'shrimp or lobster like'....

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

There's a quarry in Herkimer County, NY which is said to be nearly exhausted (Fiddlers Green Fm.). As far as I know, it's the main site for eurypterids in the region. Nearly all the eurypterids known from there belong to the species Eurypterus remipes. Yours has a head shaped just like the others I've seen but you'd have to ask a sea scorpion fan. Collectors of the quarry have identified pieces of a much bigger genus as well. Sometimes plant fossils are found with the prized find being an actual primitive scorpion (eurypterids weren't true scorpions - relatives in that both groups are arthropods)

Thanks for the information, Herkimer is very well known for its Eurypterids pity to hear the deposit is exhausted.

I believe that the fossil could be Eurypterus remipes (more probable) or Eurypterus lacustria.... I do not have the expertise to differentiate.... still learning. :) PL

$12 is a good price... Neat looking fossil. PL

Pleecan..... What a strange looking creature, and a nice fossil....I can see why your attracted to these I like it.... is there anything comparable to it alive today?, it also looks very 'shrimp or lobster like'....

Hi Terry: The Eurpterids are related to shrimps / lobsters.... probably very tasty roasted with garlic butter :) known to grow 2.5 metres.... As Siteseer has eluded to ...these evolve to terrestrial land scorpions... I will post some pictures of Eurypterids with their stinger assembly later on. PL

I have a specimen from that Herkemer quarry, I'll see if I can't get a shot of it later. The telon is present and intact. :)

...I will post some pictures of Eurypterids with their stinger assembly later on. PL

Really?! Wow! I'll be waiting right here :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Here is a link to Lang's Quarry near Passage Gulf, Herkimer County.: http://www.langsfossils.com/quarry.htm

I have never been there myself but I know others who have. Allan doesn't often let folks in. It is really hard rock and you work like crazy and maybe find something good and then he sells it to you at a discount. But when you see what the big prepped ones go for even with the discount they ain't cheap. Apparently he has to expose and bust up lots of material, let it weather a number of years and then only can you start whacking at it with a sledge, hoping the conchodial fractures reveal a specimen.

Some of the earliest scorpions come from here.

There is supposedly a road cut in the area that on rare occasion offers up a specimen. The collecting further west near buffalo and into Ontario is supposed to be much easier.

I have to dig out a few Eurypterid larvae I collected from black shales in the Shawangunk Formation Tiny little carbon smears, but eurypterids. Hopefully they will photograph.

I have to dig out a few Eurypterid larvae I collected from black shales in the Shawangunk Formation Tiny little carbon smears, but eurypterids. Hopefully they will photograph.

Looking forward to those pictures :) .PL

Pterygotus I found in Lang's quarry earlier this year...

Al thanked me and quickly put it in his pocket!

post-2448-12603796971277_thumb.jpg

Edited by Placoderms
  • Enjoyed 1

Awesome fossils all! Sea scorpians are another one I'd like to add to my hunting list.

Does anyone have any fossils of brontoscopio?

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

Pterygotus I found in Lang's quarry earlier this year...

Al thanked me and quickly put it in his pocket!

Pterygotus are super rare prize... I have only see a stinger assembly once at Fort Erie ON! Great find!!! PL

Were Pterygotus fully aquatic, or did they spend some time on land? Also, I assume that the stinger is an adaptation of the telson; is this the earliest hint of that change in arsenal?

Forgive me for the elementary questions, I'm getting caught up on a 50-yr-old fascination :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

I've always found them odd looking critters, I had the chance to buy a nice one once but I thought it looked fake.. but turned out to be authentic.

Great specimens everyone.

Here are a couple of specimen from my collection.

This first one is from the Fort Erie quarry. Same quarry that plee collects. It is possible to find complete specimens in this quarry.

post-391-12603945455604_thumb.jpg

This second photo shows the positive and negative of the same specimen. If you fine one you really find two. When purchasing eurypterids one needs to be careful. The positive and negative are usually sold as separate specimens. You rarely see them for sale as a pair. There is a difference. The positive has some three dimensionality to it. The negative is just a film (no pun intended).

post-391-12603945973666_thumb.jpg

Finally my specimen form Herkimer, New York. This was found long before the Lang quarry.

post-391-12603946547065_thumb.jpg

Here are a couple of specimen from my collection.

This first one is from the Fort Erie quarry. Same quarry that plee collects. It is possible to find complete specimens in this quarry.

This second photo shows the positive and negative of the same specimen. If you fine one you really find two. When purchasing eurypterids one needs to be careful. The positive and negative are usually sold as separate specimens. You rarely see them for sale as a pair. There is a difference. The positive has some three dimensionality to it. The negative is just a film (no pun intended).

Finally my specimen form Herkimer, New York. This was found long before the Lang quarry.

Really nice specimen Joe! Thanks for sharing. PL

Edited by pleecan

Were Pterygotus fully aquatic, or did they spend some time on land? Also, I assume that the stinger is an adaptation of the telson; is this the earliest hint of that change in arsenal?

Forgive me for the elementary questions, I'm getting caught up on a 50-yr-old fascination :)

Hello Auspex: Great to ask questions... No need for apologies... I am the newbie instead... you have a great wealth of fossil knowledge to offer. Also Forgive me for my inexact use of words... " stinger" was ment to be Telson which is more proper term descriptor... often I equate present day equivalents to help describe a fossil that is less familar me in lay man terms.

Pterygotus are marine aquatic, ... inhabited Upper silurian and highly prized to collect.

The photo is close up of Eurpyterid remipes lacustris telson from Bertie formation.

Long and pointed approx 1.5" in this case. PL

post-2446-12604074329777_thumb.jpg

Thanks! I thought that, since somewhere along the line they colonized land, and are at least related to scorpions, they might have actually been found with scorpion-like stingers.

Thanks! I thought that, since somewhere along the line they colonized land, and are at least related to scorpions, they might have actually been found with scorpion-like stingers.

That transtional link between Eurypterids and Scorpions missing link fossil may still exist and may be found in the Eramosa Lagerstaette Biota yet to be discovered :) .PL

Lets have some fun.... The fossil is a bit dusty from sitting on the self... Can you guess or know what Eurypterid Part this belongs to.... ? The fossil is from the Silurian period from Bertie formation... what is it?..... I will tell you the answer tomorrow :D if no one gets it. :blink: PL

post-2446-12604944674347_thumb.jpg

Lets have some fun.... The fossil is a bit dusty from sitting on the self... Can you guess or know what Eurypterid Part this belongs to.... ? The fossil is from the Silurian period from Bertie formation... what is it?..... I will tell you the answer tomorrow :D if no one gets it. :blink: PL

PL

This is a Naughty Part!