Devonian Trilobite Pygidium

cameronsfossilcollection

Was looking through some small fossils that I’ve found, and I decided to take a closer look at this pygidium, and the smooth outline and small bumps lead me to believe that this may not be an Eldredgeops rana - what I usually find. It’s from the lost river, Mahantango formation. Thanks!

588848A8-807E-47B2-BBC8-1CFBCD3A44EF.jpeg

F06877C0-4A76-4DAC-A287-02AD89585D86.jpeg

17 minutes ago, connorp said:

Pseudodechenella maybe?

This is a much closer match than E. rana, I appreciate it. Though most of the pictures I'm seeing online don't show the bumpy texture this piece has... 

From my perspective, your pygidium lacks its original material. Hence it takes on more of the character of the rock surrounding it (bumpy). But just a guess. 

Mike

11 minutes ago, minnbuckeye said:

From my perspective, your pygidium lacks its original material. Hence it takes on more of the character of the rock surrounding it (bumpy). But just a guess. 

Mike

The bumps seem to be following the shape of the pygidium and are pretty regular in their size and spacing. I think that they are from the actual trilobite and not just the rock.

19 minutes ago, piranha said:

The pygidium is a dalmanitid.  Any chance this was collected in Hardy, County? 

Yup - out in Wardensville at the Lost River roadcut. 

According to Burns 1991: Lost River-Wardensville dalmanitids are found in a couple of localities of the Needmore Formation.

Burns, J. 1991

Fossil Collecting in the Mid-Atlantic States with Localities, Collecting Tips, and Illustrations of more than 450 Fossil Specimens. The Johns Hopkins University Press, 200 pp.

• I found this Informative 1

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png