Miocene Humerus

Shellseeker

Fossilized 1/2 bone, 4.5 inches, Seems to be a humerus.

IMG_4747.thumb.JPEG.7107b337b69f96fbbd237fabc43687e1.JPEGIMG_4750.thumb.JPEG.1f1daa8a63a597176c2f400b294b9a1f.JPEGIMG_4751.thumb.JPEG.9b943653d57cc4cdc4988a335939aca3.JPEG

Searching the internet,  I came across this photo of a much larger complete humerus.  What do you think?

post-42-0-71102300-1306794650.jpg.b82c848e7387bf0c3ec53f798ef41e71.jpg

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Sure, dugongid or trichechid.  Here are some more images of my dugongid humerus (which is considerably larger than  average).  The first image shows an average-size partial (the left side):

dugongid_humeri_proximals.JPG

dugongid_humerus_post.JPG

dugongid_humerus_prox_lateral.JPG

dugongid_humerus_prox_post.JPG

dugongid_humerus_proximal.JPG

• I found this Informative 3

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Thanks, @Harry Pristis

I was slightly put off by the obvious difference in size between my find and your photo. Also we had not previously found any other dugongid or trichechid fossils (ribs, bones, teeth) in this location.

I had looked at Teleoceras humerous, which is huge compared to my find, but oddly enough is somewhat similar to dugong.RhinoHumerus.JPG.946a51d56165b997bfba3e59d7eb5560.JPG

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

I agree with sirenian humerus - it is quite tiny, though. A smallish species of Metaxytherium, Crenatosiren, or perhaps Nanosiren are all possibilities; second one is Metaxytherium albifontanum - both this and Crenatosiren are Oligocene taxa.

image.png.4c471148425f308abe448e2b5587199e.pngimage.png.c39d892fad6b98f1c878213ece6def7d.png

• I found this Informative 2

28 minutes ago, garyc said:

Cool find!

Agree !!!  :raindance:Bobby has given me a trail to follow... and I will do so with enthusiasm!!!

1 hour ago, Boesse said:

I agree with sirenian humerus - it is quite tiny, though. A smallish species of Metaxytherium, Crenatosiren, or perhaps Nanosiren are all possibilities; second one is Metaxytherium albifontanum - both this and Crenatosiren are Oligocene taxa.

I had been speculating that this location was mid_miocene consistent with the ages of the Central Florida Phosphate mines (?? 13-15 mya) based on other fauna fossils found and identified. But I am always open to new ideas.  Thanks Jack