Dinosaur Eggs from Heyuan, China

This is a clutch of 3 eggs from Heyuan, China.  The egg measures about 9cm.  Are they genuine? What about the shell coverage %?

IMG_6908.JPG

I see no obvious shell....:look:

Looks a little bit like the eggs are carved out from the matrix....

Let's see what the eggsperts say...

I think we would really need to hold this in hand and check out. I don't think the eggs are carved out of matrix, it looks like unpreped eggs or concs. Have any better pics of junktion between matrix and potential eggs to exclude the composition option? 

• I found this Informative 1

Looks very suspicious to me. I don't think these are real eggs.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

On 24/06/2020 at 2:47 PM, LordTrilobite said:

Looks very suspicious to me. I don't think these are real eggs.

Yeah, all from very round shape and "preservation" for an egg looks too perfect...

4 minutes ago, aeon.rocks said:

Yeah, all from very round shape and "preservation" for an egg looks too perfect...

I mean, the colour looks about right. But yeah, I agree, the "preservation" and details do not.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Something is off... but it's tricky to say, even if you compare, those look more like concs...don't know, maybe different preservation. These are unpreped Spheroolithus (maybe, not sure) - real, not sure about the detail (how they clean up) however, didn't get to hold them in hand, although the price for which they were offered was ok, compared to values on your favourite auction sites (were offered for less as a full car tank of fossil fuel costs). PHOTO-2019-12-16-15-34-17.thumb.jpg.d862ab25574d694d495c656d0d3a20ac.jpgPHOTO-2019-12-30-15-25-44.thumb.jpg.69ac7e9ca1a9961550fe01d572996d90.jpgPHOTO-2019-12-30-15-25-57.thumb.jpg.61115a5a6f17e95e8845f57953c38311.jpg

I'd be leery of buying them. Dino eggs (real ones with nice obvious shell texture) tend to be expensive--and why shouldn't they be? Avocational fossil collectors are drawn to these but we rarely have the funds to spend on nicely preserved genuine specimens and so are tempted by inexpensive items when we see them pop-up for sale. I know absolutely nothing about the supply of genuine dino eggs nor the going rate and therefore cannot offer any opinion other than buyer beware--if it looks too good to be true, it just might.

The fact that nature is very good at creating spherical concretions combined with our general lack of knowledge as to what dino eggs should look like means that concretions are often passed off as something more valuable. Additionally, it means we have a steady stream of new members here who's first post is to look for confirmation of the clutch of (T-rex, usually) dino eggs they've found while digging in their yard (usually in an area without Mesozoic deposits). I'm not saying the above are concretions (not qualified to have such an opinion) but we do have members @CBchiefski who have deeper knowledge in these things. Best to get an informed opinion--even if it is only a moderate amount of money involved.

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 2

Dino eggs (real ones with nice obvious shell texture) tend to be expensive--and why shouldn't they be? Avocational fossil collectors are drawn to these but we rarely have the funds to spend on nicely preserved genuine specimens and so are tempted by inexpensive items when we see them pop-up for sale.

I agree, but what about the shell coverage % or preparation? The price some of these fetch are hilarious for "the inexpensive condition". The margins on these are among the highest in the fossil biznis. Expensive or not, doesn't really matter, if you were referring to my comment, I'm just trying to consider what I would be paying for, if I would be buying, and imho the preparation used for most of these is not really worth the high price, the "inexpensive condition" neither. Preparation is usually underrated, but despite that... The fact that they are dinosaur egg fossils also not. They are very common fossil in China and the only reason the demand is higher as supply and they are worth faking is ban on export. If it wouldn't be illegal to export, the market would be flooded with Chinese eggs and Keichos, but even as it is, you still could buy another one about every week (old stock ;) ), if you can afford that...