Florida (Central) - River Finds

BellamyBlake

Hi everyone,

I have here some fossils, mostly teeth, from a river in Central Florida. I'm pretty sure I know what some of these are, and if anyone could confirm or correct me I'd appreciate it!

rsEKgrO.jpg

I know the first one is a Megalodon fragment. The second one could be a great white. I'm less sure about the last one.

fxK1uk8.jpg

My question here relates to the 9 shark teeth to the top right. I think the second is a Mako and the third is a Tiger, but ultimately not sure on any.

2g8TTT7.jpg

Prehistoric crocodile/alligator tooth?

WtvlJAy.jpg

It looks like a crocodile or alligator femur to me

bpnFFfR.jpg

There's one I have no clue about

fxt3Nak.jpg

Based on my knowledge, deer tooth?

0RRmPUs.jpg

Manatee molar?

V7dVCfC.jpg

I'm not sure about these. I wanted to say mammoth or mastadon tusk fragments, but I don't know if such fragments can be identified.

I4x27PI.jpg

This is more of a general question. Is there any way to wager a guess as to what these random fragments could be? Would it include turtle shells, marine mammal bones, and so on?

Thank you!

Some advice,

When you request an ID of 20-30 fossils in a single thread, it tends to get ignored. Few have the experience /expertise to identify all fossils, and there is a tendency to avoid giving partial answers. Also there are few people who can effectively respond.  Those who have searched years and years on this type of fossil and have the time to respond.

I would suggest fewer fossils per thread, and then work on eliminating the "easy" identifications. A simple google search of "Florida Shark teeth Identification" quickly found this picture. There are many like it.

venice-shark-teeth-identification.jpg.5c1d2e99f262b4f4bb602438a56a730c.jpg

SharkteethID.jpg.069f8ae42eefa55deb25d30ff5d2029e.jpg

Looking at your photos:

1) Megalodon, either Meg or Great While, more likely Meg, Mako

2) Lemon, Lemon, Tiger, Snaggletooth, Snaggletooth, SnaggleTooth, Snaggletooth, ??, Cooper..

Interesting Tooth , not deer, Manatee or dugong molar, sting ray teeth (some TFF members can ID to type of Ray, I can not.)

3) I think it is a turtle spur

4) Random bone.. I do not recognize it. If aquatic lizard , 500000 to one alligator over crocodile ..

5) Random bone,  possibly rib tip

6) Interesting tooth

7) Interesting tooth and Manatee/Dugong molar

8) fragments of ray dermal denticles, ray barbs...random bones.  The likelihood of Mammoth/Mastodon tusk fragments is possible bit extremely unlikely

9)  I have been hunting Florida for 15 years. I might be able to identify 5-10% of your bucket.  The rest is just random bone that no one can identify. I have learned to live with not knowing.

You have a few interesting fossils. #6 for example.

I suggest that you start a new thread , provide top, bottom side views,  and measurements or this one fossil... Attempt to take photos that fill the photo. like this tooth with is a 13 mm wide, taken with a standard cellphone camera (it focuses nicely).

IMG_4776SmallTeethcrop.jpg.5d9cca8fd2240847e5b12d42dae0d430.jpg

• I found this Informative 6

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

6 hours ago, Shellseeker said:

Some advice,

When you request an ID of 20-30 fossils in a single thread, it tends to get ignored. Few have the experience /expertise to identify all fossils, and there is a tendency to avoid giving partial answers. Also there are few people who can effectively respond.  Those who have searched years and years on this type of fossil and have the time to respond.

I would suggest fewer fossils per thread, and then work on eliminating the "easy" identifications. A simple google search of "Florida Shark teeth Identification" quickly found this picture. There are many like it.

venice-shark-teeth-identification.jpg.5c1d2e99f262b4f4bb602438a56a730c.jpg

SharkteethID.jpg.069f8ae42eefa55deb25d30ff5d2029e.jpg

Looking at your photos:

1) Megalodon, either Meg or Great While, more likely Meg, Mako

2) Lemon, Lemon, Tiger, Snaggletooth, Snaggletooth, SnaggleTooth, Snaggletooth, ??, Cooper..

Interesting Tooth , not deer, Manatee or dugong molar, sting ray teeth (some TFF members can ID to type of Ray, I can not.)

3) I think it is a turtle spur

4) Random bone.. I do not recognize it. If aquatic lizard , 500000 to one alligator over crocodile ..

5) Random bone,  possibly rib tip

6) Interesting tooth

7) Interesting tooth and Manatee/Dugong molar

8) fragments of ray dermal denticles, ray barbs...random bones.  The likelihood of Mammoth/Mastodon tusk fragments is possible bit extremely unlikely

9)  I have been hunting Florida for 15 years. I might be able to identify 5-10% of your bucket.  The rest is just random bone that no one can identify. I have learned to live with not knowing.

You have a few interesting fossils. #6 for example.

I suggest that you start a new thread , provide top, bottom side views,  and measurements or this one fossil... Attempt to take photos that fill the photo. like this tooth with is a 13 mm wide, taken with a standard cellphone camera (it focuses nicely).

IMG_4776SmallTeethcrop.jpg.5d9cca8fd2240847e5b12d42dae0d430.jpg

Thank you for explaining the etiquette to me. In the future, I'll keep your advice in mind and try to identify anything I can, excluding them from posts. I'll also limit finds per thread. Lastly, I appreciate you taking the time to offer me such a comprehensive answer. It's much obliged.

Thank you for explaining the etiquette to me. In the future, I'll keep your advice in mind and try to identify anything I can, excluding them from posts. I'll also limit finds per thread. Lastly, I appreciate you taking the time to offer me such a comprehensive answer. It's much obliged.

I'll start a new thread for that sixth photo with multiple angles and higher quality images.

• I found this Informative 1