Air Scribe for White River Matrix

FossilsandScience

Hey everyone!

I have a lot of fossils that I need to prepare from the White River Formation and was wondering what the best air scribe is to prep that type of matrix. The matrix can get very tough to breakthrough. Any suggestions? Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/7/2020 at 8:07 PM, jpc said:

Aro.  and  an air abrasive.  

Thanks!

17 hours ago, FossilsandScience said:

Thanks!

These would be the best to prep your fossils and will cost a lot to get started.  But you can also do it with a small hammer and chisel.  A dental pick sharpened to a chisel edge is a great tool.  I prepped my first Whte River fossil with a drywall screw.  It will just be a lot slower, and the last layerof rock will often come off with a stiff paintbrush and water and tons of patience.  Only wet the area you are working on, not the whole fossil.  

• 1 month later...
On 7/21/2020 at 1:02 PM, jpc said:

These would be the best to prep your fossils and will cost a lot to get started.  But you can also do it with a small hammer and chisel.  A dental pick sharpened to a chisel edge is a great tool.  I prepped my first Whte River fossil with a drywall screw.  It will just be a lot slower, and the last layerof rock will often come off with a stiff paintbrush and water and tons of patience.  Only wet the area you are working on, not the whole fossil.  

Wet the matrix as close to the fossil as possible without wetting the fossil or is ok for fossil to become slightly moist? Crawford county Nebraska fossil

Thanks

I would only wet it after you have removed as much rock as possible with hammer and chisel or whatever.  Small areas at once so as to not soak the fossil.  

• I found this Informative 1