Kurufossils

Heres a fun thread for those to show off their widest and fattest looking megalodon teeth fossils in thier collections. I'll set the tone with the widest fat boy in my collection, I don't have digital calipers but it measure roughly 5.4 inches wide by 6.1 inches long. When I close my hand together it looks even more monstrous. Share yours and join the wide boyclub :dinothumb:

Got the idea while thinking about what the widest megalodon tooth ever found measures, if anyone does know do share in this thread!

20200707_212725.jpg

• I found this Informative 3
  • Enjoyed 1

That is a monster tooth! The closest I have is a 5 13/16 that is 4.5" wide. Almost an inch skinnier, and it's a big ole tooth! I really like the fact that yours is unaltered. I recently noticed that many of the larger teeth offered on that famous auction site are "restored." I do admire the craftsmanship and artistry (wonderful color matching) that is involved in those "improvements." However, strictly for myself I appreciate the natural, as found, appearance. By some miraculous propinquity, there is a wideboy Jr. currently being offered in the "Auctions to Benefit the Forum" topic. It clocks in with a modest by comparison width of 4". Here's a photo of it.

DSCN3585acz.thumb.jpg.626652b5fbaba6432d3cc9c3fddfd112.jpg

• I found this Informative 5
  • Enjoyed 1

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

1 hour ago, A. Attanasio said:

Jaws times 100.  Wow!

Yup. I'd think twice about being a diver if megs still swam our waters. ;)

I've had fun diving for meg teeth in the waters of North Carolina but I don't think I'd want to retrieve them firsthand from their owners. :o

BTW: Belated welcome to the forum. :)

Cheers.

-Ken

Thanks.  I'm a chicken.  There would be no diving.  Still Tigers and Great Whites in the waters.

On 7/8/2020 at 2:10 PM, Ryann10006 said:

@snolly50 Thanks I agree, it seems like there is alot more then there use to be. Awesome tooth here :meg::dinothumb:

I think the technical term for your tooth is "Mr. Chunky."

Jess

• 5 months later...

Nice tooth.  I have 1 coming that will be in similar company with it on the widened scale.  We shall see when it gets here.

33 minutes ago, kingcobb said:

Nice tooth.  I have 1 coming that will be in similar company with it on the widened scale.  We shall see when it gets here.

Looking forward to seeing it!

Wow!  That's impressive!  I have a couple that's not quite as imposing, but still pretty cool.  The one on the right comes in at 6.23" x 4.93", while the one on the left is 6.18" x 5.16"

IMG_2355.thumb.JPG.215a6b8c2f49e7bbaeacb3bff553e259.JPG

• I found this Informative 3

My larger megs are all anteriors, so not too wide, but I have yet to see a great white wider than this one.

• I found this Informative 2
  • Enjoyed 1

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

43 minutes ago, Northern Sharks said:

My larger megs are all anteriors, so not too wide, but I have yet to see a great white wider than this one.

What an incredible resource in your album "unusual shark teeth"  Very helpful with some IDs that I need help with!

• I found this Informative 1

fuu5kah21da61.thumb.jpg.3cad09c3f573ba320c371ae46f84bfdc.jpg

I win. My boy is the widest! hahahhahaha. :heartylaugh:

(The above tooth is a horrible composite megalodon that has been artificially lengthened. It is not my tooth).

• I found this Informative 2
  • Enjoyed 2

15 hours ago, Praefectus said:

fuu5kah21da61.thumb.jpg.3cad09c3f573ba320c371ae46f84bfdc.jpg

(The above tooth is a horrible composite megalodon that has been artificially lengthened. It is not my tooth).

Nice tooth man ! hahhaha:ighappy:

• I found this Informative 1

That badly "extended" meg with those "ears" attached reminds me of something ...

b6908ed423f52a850037c216d38dd232.jpg

I wouldn't even end up on the medals-stand in this Olympics competition. My largest personal find is only around 4.25" wide and just over 5.5" in length found in 140 feet of water 40 miles off the coast of North Carolina.

Cheers.

-Ken

P1147497.jpg

• I found this Informative 5

Now, no need to bully all of these poor megalodon teeth! Besides, dugong burgers were cheaper back then! :heartylaugh:

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt

-Mark Twain

• 2 years later...

Muchachos, buenas tardes,

Vi este hilo recientemente y me gustaría contribuir con "mi pequeño" en comparación con el tuyo.
Este es mi segundo y último diente que adquiero, es bastante ancho, pero no llega a esos 6" que veo aquí.
Mide 4,83" de ancho y 5,55" de largo, procede de Indonesia y la raíz como es normal en estos casos tiene algo de desgaste en el lado derecho.
Aparte del ancho, lo que más me ha gustado es la forma de la parte labial.

Y relacionado con esa forma, (y teniendo en cuenta que solo tengo dos dientes) porque la mayoría de los dientes que he visto son más planos en esa zona y no he visto muchos así, mi duda es saber si es raro, o si en las fotos no se suelen apreciar estas formas, y es más común de lo que creo.

Translation:

Guys, good afternoon, I saw this thread recently and would like to contribute "my little one" compared to yours. This is my second and last tooth that I acquire, it is quite wide, but it does not reach those 6" that I see here. It measures 4.83" wide and 5.55" long, comes from Indonesia and the root as is normal in these cases has some wear on the right side. Apart from the width, what I liked the most is the shape of the lip part. And related to that shape, (and taking into account that I only have two teeth) because most of the teeth I have seen are flatter in that area and I have not seen many like that, my doubt is to know if it is rare, or if in the photos these shapes are not usually appreciated, and it is more common than I think.

IMG_20230524_195124.jpg

IMG_20230524_185407.jpg

IMG_20230524_185551.jpg

Edited by JohnJ
Please post in English
  • Enjoyed 2

21 minutes ago, Choco said:

Muchachos, buenas tardes,

Sorry, I thought there was a copy of the translator for the part in English... :DOH:

• Thank You 1

On 1/13/2021 at 3:22 PM, Praefectus said:

Hah! I'm glad I read down underneath that image. You had me going for a millisecond. I really hope nobody ever buys such a Franken-tooth. Ugh! :DOH:

Cheers.

-Ken

• Enjoyed 1