Mucelium

Hello everyone,

I am a Belgian student in biology, and I love paleontology.

Last week, I was walking on a slag heap near my home in the town of Marcinelle, at the coal mine called "Bois du Cazier". My attention was mainly focused on fossils of carboniferous plants (sigilaria, cordaites, calamites, etc ...). But at one point, I picked up this pretty little pebble which seemed to me to be a fossilized archosaurian egg.
The slag heaps do not really respect the order of the geological layers, so it is very difficult for me to pin a year on it.

DSCF5430

DSCF5429

DSCF5427

DSCF5426

DSCF5424

DSCF5423

I wanted to ask you if it was possible to :

- confirm / deny that it is a fossilized egg
- date it approximately, in view of the material that composes it (in my opinion, it should belong to the Mesozoic area, because of the colour and the fact that it was necessary to logically pass through this layer when digging, before arriving at the carboniferous veins)
- identify the order, maybe the family to which he may have belonged.

Please excuse-me for my bad English,

Thank you in advance for your answers ! :) 

Hello,

this is probably a ferruginous concretion, frequently  found in the carboniferous layers

• I found this Informative 1

+1 for concretion. 

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

Thank you for your answers.

Can anyone explain how/why this concretion was formed whith this particular shape ? Is this a similar process that the one who formed the "pseudofossil" in this topic ?