Trip Report - 7/14/2020 - Summerville, SC

FossilizedShoe

Got a pretty decent haul out of Summerville on Tuesday, finally found a creek spot that was halfway decent. Lots of little broken Meg chunks, but the big tooth remains elusive. I did find a nice angustidens, though, which is in excellent shape for a creek tooth of that size. I put the specimens I could use some help identifying in the upper right hand corner of the first picture. I know the top two are mammal teeth of some sort, pretty sure the right one is either horse or camel, but I have no clue about the one on the left. Below them are what I assume is the remains of some sort of coral, and on the bottom is a small mystery tooth in matrix and a strange piece of fossilized something. I would really appreciate it if any of yall could let me know what some of this stuff is. I plan on heading back to this site tomorrow or the next day because we just had a decent storm blow through, so stay tuned!

IMG_20200716_132837.jpg

IMG_20200716_132855.jpg

IMG_20200716_132955.jpg

• I found this Informative 4

• Nice finds!  I will say that the light colored item is an osteoderm.  I cant be certain of species, it looks like croc to me, but where I hunt would absolutely be croc.  There are other animals with very similar armor plates, such as the giant armadillo.

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

Great hall! If you want too find a big tooth, I’d go on a dig tour with palmetto fossil excursions, our dad went on a dig tour with them(me and my brother went on a creek tour) and he found a 4.9 inch meg tooth! We went found a ton more fossils, but the biggest one we found was a 2 1/4 inch hastalis(one of the guides found a 2.5-3 inch angy that they gave to us!) pm me and I can tell you more if you want.