Can someone help tell me if this is a genuinely trilobite

Georgemckenzie

Hiya bought this a couple days ago from a fossil and gem store wanted to know if it was legit 

9A7AA507-B92E-4ED9-BD0D-8DEDFE6CB104.jpeg

Yes, and it is a common Flexicalymene ouzregui from the Ordovician of Morocco (or possibly a Colpocryphe sp. but we'd need to see the pygidium directly). In this case, it appears to be composited of two different specimens, with a cephalon cemented to the thorax.

• I found this Informative 4

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Also purchased this these weren’t that expensive got a feeling the matrix is not real and the crown of the tooth is 

C8151721-6621-405A-9B7B-3498DF658E20.jpeg

1 minute ago, Kane said:

Yes, and it is a common Flexicalymene ouzregui from the Ordovician of Morocco. In this case, it appears to be composited of two different specimens.

Thanks for the help I had an idea it wasn’t fake but i thought it might been a composite 

The trilobite is likely a molt (exuviae). There is often a space between the two sections. Likely it broke when they were trying to trim the area.

You might want to just poke the matrix (make sure it is on the warm side at the time) with something sharp. If the tip sticks in at all, it's (the matrix) likely fake. The tooth is probably real, but it may be broken.

• I found this Informative 1

1 hour ago, Rockwood said:

The trilobite is likely a molt (exuviae). There is often a space between the two sections. Likely it broke when they were trying to trim the area.

You might want to just poke the matrix (make sure it is on the warm side at the time) with something sharp. If the tip sticks in at all, it's (the matrix) likely fake. The tooth is probably real, but it may be broken.

Bit of an amateur here  but what is molt (exuviae) and I’m pretty sure the matrix is a reproduction it wasn’t that expensive.

1 hour ago, Georgemckenzie said:

Bit of an amateur here  but what is molt (exuviae) and I’m pretty sure the matrix is a reproduction it wasn’t that expensive. 

Trilobites like most arthropods would shed their exoskeleton as they grew, leaving behind their moults. 

And I would say much of the matrix is indeed human-made. In the photo of the underside, the granular "smudge" does look like some form of cement.

• I found this Informative 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Your mosasaur tooth is real but the matrix it is on is suspect. Looks too perfect. Normally, there are many little bits of random fossils stuck in the matrix. 

2 hours ago, Georgemckenzie said:

got a feeling the matrix is not real and the crown of the tooth is 

Correct the matrix is not real. It’s normally a glue, sand, and miscellaneous bits. If you soak in in water it will dissolve In not very long. I often dissolve the matrix on my teeth just so I have the tooth by itself. A word of caution though. Do not dissolve the matrix unless you’re sure the tooth is whole and not broken or you can end up with pieces... And yes the crown is real.