Cretaceous Bone

kknight

Edited by kknight

Amateur Nature Photographer / Fossil Hunter

www.naturesstage.com

Kevin Knight

? Nice colors. What formation was it found in?

-----"Your Texas Connection!"------

Fossils: Windows to the past

I am not sure what member of the Eagle Ford shale it is from. I am really not familiar with all of them, but it was in Frisco, so it was one of the northern ones.

Anybody know if there is a publication on Eagle Ford shale members?

www.naturesstage.com

Kevin Knight

google it and you'll find lots of info on the eagle ford. why were you thinking turtle? although the bone doesn't look to have all that much diagnostic morphology to it, i'd have first been thinking marine reptile or saber-toothed fish or something...don't know.

other search terms for you would be "arcadia park shale", "britton shale", and "kamp ranch member".

I have no real reason, just called it something at the last minute. And I don't know why I did not think to google eagle ford, I am too sleepy I guess :)

www.naturesstage.com

Kevin Knight

It's got that flaky look of fish bone. Might be worth some time going through the Oceans of Kansas web site.

it also has a certain color and preservation that i've seen primarily on fish bone from that formation.

the eagle ford was named after a hard-scrabble community in west dallas where it outcrops. clyde barrow lived there for a time, and bonnie parker went to the elementary school. it's been a rough neighborhood for a long time, and last time i was there did not seem to be improving with age.

Interesting....It does look to me to have a certain similarity of shape to the palitine bone of an Enchodus.

post-1313-12610636659699_thumb.jpg

Be true to the reality you create.

Given the way the bone terminates in a slight concave shape with a hint of another bone forking off, my guess would be the one of the "ends" of a shoulder (pectoral girdle) of a reptile, maybe a turtle.

Just googled this diagram.

48088_turtle_girdl_lg.gif

A reptile bone I found from Frisco has the same flaky "fish" look.

Edited by Tony Eaton

Based on your pics, I agree with Eric and tracer; it displays a lot of the characteristics of fish bone. To me, the variation in color, texture, matrix, and fractured bone make it hard to determine much more from the fragment in the photos.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Thanks for the input, it helps.

www.naturesstage.com

Kevin Knight