I_gotta_rock

I found this the other day in a bag of Aurora micro matrix. It's only about 3 mm long. Could be Miocene, Pliocene or Pleistocene as all three run through the mine and the matrix is thoroughly sifted together during mining operations. There appears to be a root and possibly two tips broken off?

5f1dcd99b0e27_HeatherSiple-oddballtooth-001.thumb.jpg.a520326608d06669d816768f8c7f4d4a.jpg5f1dcd9a71538_HeatherSiple-oddballtooth-002.thumb.jpg.3dd6d831782935daf5ccdfd24ebe8040.jpg5f1dcd9b2269a_HeatherSiple-oddballtooth-003.thumb.jpg.62aacfc9f21bdafabb03371f4e57b164.jpg

I refuse to give up my childish wonder at the world.

I think this is what it is. I found something similar Family: Sparidae
Porgies

i would see if there is a fish expert that knows

• I found this Informative 1

Could be. I found another tooth identified as porgy a few weeks ago in this shipment.

I am going clean mine tonight so I will post a pic to see how similar it is. I just found mine last week.  Are you finding a ton of verts?   I think I have found over 200

4 hours ago, hokietech96 said:

I am going clean mine tonight so I will post a pic to see how similar it is. I just found mine last week.  Are you finding a ton of verts?   I think I have found over 200

Quite a few, but probably not that many. I haven't really been counting. Just taking pictures of the unusual ones as I go. Still have half a bag of matrix. Did find a really unusual gastropod, though. DPS Ammonite and I have been going back and forth about the identification and I'm probably driving him nuts over what I thought wsas going to be a simple entry in the Collections section. Check out this saga: 

BTW, I found two more of these teeth today.

Agree with @old bones. The distinctive tooth notch in the first two pix says pinfish, a frequent find in Lee Creek matrix. However the 3rd pic is confusing me a bit -- what view is that?

• I found this Informative 2

19 hours ago, I_gotta_rock said:

BTW, I found two more of these teeth today.

Here is the one I found

5f1f48249e10c_MonJul2717-24-32.jpg.3adf979c05de3aff42bd26274109927a.jpg