Fossils in Salmon River (Oswego County)

frichter

Hi all,
I am new to this forum, thank you for accepting me here.

I am a geologist from Brazil, but live in Rochester, NY. Paleontology is not my main expertise. 
So a friend went to Salmon River, Oswego County, and brought back these fossil-bearing shales he collected there. He told me you can find many fossils in that area and that he was told these are Devonian in age. 
I looked in a USGS geologic map, and the region is located where the 'Pulaski and Whetstone Gulf Formations' and the 'Oswego Sandstone' outcrops. These are supposed to be Upper Ordovician. The rocks contain shells that I can't identify (pictures attached).

Can anyone help with the fossil ID and confirm the age of these rocks?

Thank you!

Fabiana

IMG_2388_.jpg

IMG_2558_.jpg

IMG_3853_.jpg

Screen Shot 2020-07-27 at 3.06.50 PM.png

• I found this Informative 1

Hello and Welcome to the forum. I live just outside of Syracuse and I fish the Salmon River often. I have found fossils there but to be honest when I go up there it's to fish and take my family hiking or swimming. So I dont know much about the fossils there but the only place that I found any were at a spot called the Black Hole. I thought that I had some pictures on my phone but I must have deleted them. Anyways there are a few spots along the river where there are cliffs on one or both sides. I am sure there are fossils in other areas besides the Black Hole, I just haven't put in the time to look. I am too busy trying to catch Salmon when I am there.:dinosmile:

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

1 hour ago, Darktooth said:

Hello and Welcome to the forum. I live just outside of Syracuse and I fish the Salmin River often. I have found fossils there but to be honest when I go up there it's to fish and take my family hiking or swimming. So I dont know much about the fossils there but the only place that I found any were at a spot called the Black Hole. I thought that I had some pictures on my phone but I must have deleted them. Anyways there are a few spots along the river where there are cliffs on one or both sides. I am sure there are fossils in other areas besides the Black Hole, I just haven't put in the time to look. I am too busy trying to catch Salmon when I am there.:dinosmile:

Same with me. I’ve been to the salmon river, but never to look for fossils. I’m on a mission to catch fish when I go there!

Thank you all for your input! Yes, apparently this is a great place for fishing and my friend went there to do that. I will ask if he collected the rocks from the spot called "Black Hole". 

It looks like it could be Ambonychia sp., as suggested by Kane. If anyone can confirm this it would be great.

Thank you!

I agree with Ambonychia.

The wider specimen in the more brown rock would appear to be a sowerbyellid brachiopod. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png