Unknown Lake Erie Fossil

Kmac1225

I am trying to identify this fossil found on Lake Erie shore.  Unusual find, please assist with identifying.  

Edited by Kmac1225
Photo upload

I am not seeing a photo here. Try uploading again, and ensure that the photo size is under 3.95 mb. 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

I see it says Photo Uploaded but that's literally it. No photos show. I had a similar issue on my thread the other day :/

Geological? 

If not, it looks like Lake Erie weathered this pretty bad. Better focused pics might aid in helping you find an answer.

Mike

Ah, we finally got a well-focused on with that last one. Is this item very small? It's hard to get a sense of scale with nothing to compare it to. Can you try another photo with a ruler in the frame? Here's a tip--cameras tend to take photos better outdoors in daylight which is a much stronger source of light than you are getting indoors. Keep far enough away to not get closer than your camera's minimum focus distance (a common problem) and add a photo with scale so we have an idea how large this object is.

It appears to be a really interesting geological feature and does not appear to be biological. It kind of resembles botryoidal growth but is more elongated and "droopy" than I'd expect for that type of a formation. The closest think that I can think of biological are the hyperostotic fish vertebrae (and other bones) that are known as "tilly bones". You can search this forum (or the wider internet) and see examples of that.

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/33058-tilly-bone-cross-section/

Since the "bulbs" of this all appear rather connected I guess the other think to possibly consider would be some sort of negative cast of the inside of some invertebrate burrow with multiple chambers.

Possibly, someone here will recognize this as something they've seen before. Very interesting shape and I can see why it came home from the beach with you. :) If it is something geological, possibly @ynot will comment on what he thinks it might be.

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 1

The white crusting on this piece reminds Me of decomposing glass. Wonder if it could be slag(?).

Does not fit well in either biologic or mineral as far as I can tell.

• I found this Informative 2

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Ah, slag--Lake Erie! That might explain this if it is anywhere near cities where there was (or is) a foundry. Would explain that droopy look as well. ;)

A fruitful like of research--thank, Tony!

Cheers.

-Ken

I will post more pictures with ruler.  Thanks for all the input.  I will also include a picture of slag which was found years ago on the same beach.  While they are similar in shape, they are different in color and I just dont know if slag can produce the vein or stem.

I see a lot of similarity to your larger piece in the picture of them together.

Cheers.

-Ken

In the last pic, are these bubbles I see?Can’t tell, as I’m on my phone.

Slag is usually full of bubbles.