Unknown fossil from the Kalkberg: Lichid?

Misha

Hello everyone,

Yesterday I was able to go to an exposure of the Kalkberg formation to do some fossil hunting.

It was a great trip and I was able to bring back some neat fossils.

Most I have been able to ID, although I will post them later for confirmation.

But I cannot say the same thing for a few of them as I am really confused as to what they may be.

Here is the first, after looking through the Linsley PDF the only thing I found that was somewhat similar is the trilobite Oinochoe pustulosus but I am not sure that this is it.

As always, any help is appreciated.

Thank you.

P1080299.JPG

The large, irregularly sized/spaced pustules on what is likely the ventral of the medial glabella very much suggests this is O. pustulosos as you guessed. Congrats! I'm jealous! The other Oinoshoe species in the Kalkberg (O. bigsbyi) has much smaller, finer, and regularly spaced pustules.

Image from Thomas, A.T., Holloway, D. J. (1988) Classification and Phylogeny of the Trilobite Order Lichida. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London. Series B, Biological Sciences Vol. 321, No. 1205, pp. 179-262.

Screen Shot 2020-07-30 at 8.38.04 PM.png

• I found this Informative 2

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

37 minutes ago, Kane said:

The large, irregularly sized/spaced pustules on what is likely the ventral of the medial glabella very much suggests this is O. pustulosos as you guessed. Congrats! I'm jealous! The other Oinoshoe species in the Kalkberg (O. bigsbyi) has much smaller, finer, and regularly spaced pustules.

Image from Thomas, A.T., Holloway, D. J. (1988) Classification and Phylogeny of the Trilobite Order Lichida. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London. Series B, Biological Sciences Vol. 321, No. 1205, pp. 179-262.

Screen Shot 2020-07-30 at 8.38.04 PM.png

That's awesome, too bad it only shows the inside

Thank you for the help