Snakewood? From College Station, Texas

KDF-TX

Is this a piece of weathered snakewood?

It's unlike any of the petrified wood or palm I've found.

approx 8 x 4 x 1.5 cm

Thanks,

Kevin

post-2595-12611544551159_thumb.jpg

post-2595-12611545028574_thumb.jpg

post-2595-12611547253084_thumb.jpg

post-2595-12611547611383_thumb.jpg

The surface texture is pretty weird, but the internal structure is at least palm-like. Real interesting piece.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Yea I have to say palm

Galveston Island 32 miles long 2 miles wide 134 bars 23 liquor stores any questions?

Evolution is Chimp Change.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain!

"I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen." Ernest Hemingway

Not snakewood. Looks like possibly a piece or palm or cycad from near the root (the ugly side). Very interesting piece.

Cycad would have a diamond pattern which I don't see in this piece. I'm going to agree with Mike and say Palm from near the root.

That's a great piece and definitely shelf worthy.

Thanks for the replies. The consensus is palm and possibly from near the root.

I dug through a couple buckets and found this one. Similar structure but more "quartzitised".

post-2595-1261654836228_thumb.jpg

post-2595-12616551462728_thumb.jpg

Can't tell for sure from the photo, but that one looks more like a rotten hardwood with quartz drusy.

There is a lot of that in SE Tx.

the two pieces you've shown are not particularly unusual for the yegua formation wood in the bryan area. and i believe they've been correctly id'd as palm and partially rotten hardwood that grew druzy crystals in the voids. degree of mineralization varies fairly widely there, with some pieces of wood having completely transformed to waxy-looking chert with no grain-structure remaining, and other pieces having all grain structure present and looking exactly like pieces of wood, except for their heft.

that area is fun to hunt, but the formation that exists there with wood in it goes all the way from over in louisiana down into south texas, so if you get bored, you can follow that ancient coastline and see how wood compares from other yegua sites.

look at the "band" labeled Ec2. link