Fossil? Deer jaw?

PrehistoricWonders

Hey all,

here’s another deer jaw that I’m wondering if it’s a fossil or modern, I know it’s difficult to know if it’s modern or a fossil cause deer are still around but I’d really appreciate if you could give some insight! @Harry Pristis @Fossildude19 @digit @Bone Daddy @ShellseekerTIA

Sorry, I noticed that earlier but I tried to change it so that there were pics again, sorry. Here they are. @Huntonia what’s your thought?

82F0B2E2-2235-4E5A-A4E1-2B23D7C05206.jpeg

DBCF2234-F1FD-4B62-A535-C3EAB66158D0.jpeg

First impression, it looks fossilized to me, but it's not unheard of for modern bones to stain like that. Probably weight and a flame test are your best bet to know for sure. 

Did you find it on land or in a body of water?

I’m considering bidding on it, so I can’t go off of any tests.

I wouldn’t bid on or buy something with no stated provenance. :unsure:

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

I agree with the others. On looks alone it could go either way. Modern and fossilized bone can have that coloring. If there is no provenance information, I think it would be a pass for me. 

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

It was found in a north Florida river, but j didn’t bid on it and decided to wait for future bids!