First trip to the Kalkberg

Misha

Hello everyone!

This trip report is a bit late but I have been trying to identify and get better photos of some fossils before posting this,

First some pictures at the actual site:

P1080273.JPG

P1080274 (1).JPG

• I found this Informative 2
  • Enjoyed 1

Hindia sphaeroidalis and a bryozoan, I was told these are quite common from the Kalkberg but this is the only Hindia I found

DSC00659.jpg

One of the best finds of the day was this Uncinulus sp. with both valves although they were slightly disarticulated.

DSC00646.jpg

DSC00647 (1).jpg

• I found this Informative 3

Leptaena is a brachiopod I was really hoping to get a nice example from this site as I think that the patterns to their shells are absolutely beautiful, sadly this is really the only piece I ended up getting. It is not bad but it does not show much of the shell and I accidentally struck it with my hammer before noticing it was there.

DSC00639.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

I might add some more photos tomorrow. Sorry about posting everything as separate comments, many of the pictures were justtoo large in size to post many at the same time.

Here are some other neat Rhynchonellids, the first one is quite squished. These were not nearly as common as Uncinulus which was the most abundant rhynchonellid from this location.

One thing I noticed with these is that I found a few of them but they were all brachial valves, there were no pedicle valves from these brachiopods. Maybe those broke apart more easily? I am not sure maybe this was only the case for me

DSC00637.jpg

DSC00661 (1).jpg

• Enjoyed 1

These pieces are some bryozoans from the location, these were fairly common fossils. The second piece actually has some brachiopods on it, one of which is Leptaena but it is obscured by the shale limestone and other organisms above it. I would try to prepare it but I have already broken a few carbide needles on other pieces from the location so I don't think I will be doing that.

DSC00640.jpg

DSC00649.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

Nice finds! Congratulations. Your Schizophoria looks more like Anastrophia verneuili to me. Normally Rickard Hill is well picked over by the numerous clubs and geology classes that stop there to collect. As one can see it is an easily accessible site.

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1

32 minutes ago, Jeffrey P said:

Nice finds! Congratulations. Your Schizophoria looks more like Anastrophia verneuili to me. Normally Rickard Hill is well picked over by the numerous clubs and geology classes that stop there to collect. As one can see it is an easily accessible site.

Thank you,

As for the ID, mine was just a guess. However, I am not sure it is Anastrophia as the ribs are much finer on this piece than the brachiopods I get when searching up that species.

• I Agree 1