I believe the specimen shown in the attached photos fell from a dump truck removing spoil from home excavations up the street from my residence in Gainesville, Prince William County, Virginia.   This area lies within the Triassic-Jurassic Culpeper Basin.

The specimen weighs 1.5 kilograms has a circumference of 33cm along its major axis, and 29cm along its minor axis.  Based on images that are available on the INTERNET, I surmise that this is a fossil sponge.  That said, I have absolutely no background or experience in Geology or Paleontology and would appreciate any information or insights members of this forum might be able to provide.

2s2020.jpg

3s2020.jpg

1s2020.jpg

Thank you.  I waded through quite a number of concretion images but this didn't seem to fit the bill.  Live and learn...

Indeed, and a good reason for an old novice like myself to consult with those better versed in the subject.  Thanks, again.

• 2 weeks later...
In the future, will you be able to write in letters of normal size? When you write in large letters or in capitals, it means that you are shouting. thanks.

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

2 hours ago, Coco said:
In the future, will you be able to write in letters of normal size? When you write in large letters or in capitals, it means that you are shouting. thanks.

Coco

I agree

I agree that concretion is likely. With that said, I did enlarge your picture and saw what could be a sponge like surface. Could you take a close up of a section of the specimen? 

Mike

Here are two close ups of areas I thought were interesting, but I'm not sure I know what you are looking for.  To me these photos show what I would consider pores and some other things that look like calcium structure of some kind.   Ray Selke

Annotation 2020-08-20 141243.png

Annotation 2020-08-20 141430.png

That shows much better what I was seeing on your initial pictures. I will defer to the experts now as to whether this is a sponge or not!! Though I am leaning towards "not".

Mike

Thank you Mike.  I'm good either way.  Just didn't want something that might have some scientific value go (literally) down the drain.