Packing Musts for collecting day trip for Mazon fossils

I'm Mel

Hi All,

I am a newbie to fossil collecting other than randomly finding them while rockhounding. I have a standard backpack of things I bring when gold panning and another one that I bring for surface collecting vs mining.  After having a blast at the Florissant Fossil beds in Colorado a couple of weeks ago I have decided to take my daughter on a day trip to Mazon Creek area for some hunting. We are making out list of items we will need to bring. Since we are driving about 4 hours each way there will be no going home for forgotten items or returning the next day so we want to have everything we will need or want with us. We would appreciate any input of items that we might not think of including for this area, and any suggestions, or photos of what to look for in particular. photos of the fossils online are great, BUT we know they don't look like that in the field. Are the concretions fist sized or basketball sized? round or egg shaped or flat like the layers of shale in Florissant? Is the area one that denim shorts are fine or do we need long pants to protect our legs from scratches. Bug spray??? hiking boots or tennis shoes? I'm hoping we find a creek or two that we can hunt around and we are packing extra clothes and towels for the car ride home.  We are including a box of large 2gallon sized ziplocs to help sort and label locations where concretions are found so that when we open at home we can figure what was found where, and will photograph sites and note on map for later reporting but I am sure there are things we aren't considering or realizing that we might need.  I would rather bring more than I need than get there wishing we had remembered something we had (like my favorite loupe) but left at home.  Thanks!

• Fossildude19 changed the title to Packing Musts for collecting day trip for Mazon fossils

The only public place to hunt for Mazon Creek fossils is the Mazonia-Braidwood Fish and Wildlife Area, aka Pit 11. It is many acres of woods that at this point in the year is very overgrown and crawling with ticks and mosquitoes. I would recommend reading through this thread.

If you are driving all the way from Missouri, I would hold off until September. The Earth Science Club of Northern Illinois (ESCONI) has a weekend where they visit a private spoil pile with better collecting (and less bugs!). The membership fee is nominal, and definitely worth it for this trip alone. The dates for this year are tentatively September 19th-20th (subject to COVID postponement/cancellation).

• I found this Informative 8

3 hours ago, connorp said:

The only public place to hunt for Mazon Creek fossils is the Mazonia-Braidwood Fish and Wildlife Area, aka Pit 11. It is many acres of woods that at this point in the year is very overgrown and crawling with ticks and mosquitoes. I would recommend reading through this thread.

If you are driving all the way from Missouri, I would hold off until September. The Earth Science Club of Northern Illinois (ESCONI) has a weekend where they visit a private spoil pile with better collecting (and less bugs!). The membership fee is nominal, and definitely worth it for this trip alone. The dates for this year are tentatively September 19th-20th (subject to COVID postponement/cancellation).

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!! This post was incredible. I wish I would have seen it before I planned the trip. I am going to have a long talk with my daughter and hopefully after hearing about the ticks and mosquitoes she will decide that we should wait till September and join a group that can help us along. I would hate for our adventure to search for the elusive Tully to end in disaster and itchy bumps. 

• I found this Informative 1

Contact ESCONI now to make arrangements if you can go in September. Read the post I wrote in the other thread. Mazon Creek collecting, unless you find a honey hole on private land with permission, is not for the faint of heart. In the state-owned areas you will bleed, itch and be physically exhausted. And that's just getting to where the fossils are. Then, if you are lucky, you will have to do the same on the 2-mile hike back, only now you'll be carrying a bucket with 90 pounds of rock in it. Most people who go the first time on their own usually only find one or two small "rejects" that someone left behind. I strongly recommend going with a group or an individual who is experienced with the area. I would gladly take you but I can't breathe and walk at the same time anymore. I'm 70 now and my collecting days ended 10 years ago. Stay active on this forum and you will meet others who may be able to help. In the state-owned areas you will definitely want to wear thick denim pants and a long-sleeved shirt. Nylon outerwear will help keep you from being covered with those annoying "stickers". I can almost guarantee that on your own you will probably be brutalized by the terrain and have nothing to show for it, at least for the first two or three visits, until you become more familiar with the where and how. Mazon Creek is by design intended for those who can appreciate the challenge, but it offers sweet rewards to those who prevail. It is no longer easy pickings as it was 50 to 75 years ago.

• I found this Informative 7

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

I also recommend the ESCONI trips, they typically do one in May and one in Sept to the Mazon Creek area. The trip is to a spoil pile from a mine that closed decades ago. So it's a big hill and you hunt around for concretions that have weathered out or dig and try to find them. Several regulars also bring buckets of some of their previous finds that are not "collection-worthy" for them, but very cool for youngsters to hunt through to find treasures to bring home. That's nice because, as you know, finding concretions can be a little less exciting for kids - you don't know if you have a fossil for many weeks later after to open them via freeze-thaw or hammer (not recommended). I checked the ESCONI.org site and it doesn't look like registration for the Sept 19/20 trips have started yet. 

There is also a very good trip to the actual creek itself, where you wade into the water and find concretions, through the I&M canal. That trip is Aug 29 and 30 this year but I know the 29th at least is already sold out. And that event is expensive because it's a fundraiser, $150 each and no special price for kids or families. It does come with a great steak dinner afterwards but still pretty pricey if you are bringing a +1.

If you really want to experience Pit 11, I would wait for March or April of next year. Before the overgrowth makes finding anything very difficult and before the place becomes infested with ticks. If you end up going then, feel free to send me a message and I'll do my best to provide any advice you need.

As far as what I typically bring, I would say most things you would probably think of - sunscreen, bug spray, gloves (I bring gardening), backpack, rock hammer. If you are going into Pit 11 you need a fossil permit that you can find online with some difficulty, or I could send to you. Some people bring a 5 gallon bucket for their finds, I like a backpack and separate sturdy bags. I like gardening kneepads, as I'm on my knees a lot looking. You also want a short, narrow rake because there will still be lots of leaves left over from the prior fall, obscuring the ground. If you go to the ESCONI trip you will want all that except no need for the permit or rake. But you might want to bring some kind of cart to carry your stuff, it's a bit of a hike from the hill to the road and my Gorilla cart comes in handy with all those rocks. If you go to the Creek you need an old pair of shoes to wade into the water. 

Again, if you get closer to an actual trip feel free to send me a message with questions. I could give you some more specific directions for Pit 11.

• I found this Informative 6

Hey guys, thanks for the kind words about our Braceville trips!  I think @Nimravis has a nice write up here somewhere.  If not, I probably did a cheap imitation.  

Visit out website for details and pictures of past trips.  We will be posting the sign up on the 19th as goes up one month in advance.  You do need to be a member of ESCONI, for insurance and liability reasons.  It costs $20 for a year.  You can sign up online.  Let me know if you have trouble.

Mel, a bunch of us will be there to help you find some concretions and I expect we will be dumping some material again.  I have to clear out a bucket or two...  Hope to see you there!

Cheers,

Rich

• I found this Informative 2

On 8/13/2020 at 7:57 PM, bigred97 said:

There is also a very good trip to the actual creek itself, where you wade into the water and find concretions, through the I&M canal. That trip is Aug 29 and 30 this year but I know the 29th at least is already sold out. And that event is expensive because it's a fundraiser, $150 each and no special price for kids or families. It does come with a great steak dinner afterwards but still pretty pricey if you are bringing a +1.

The 30th looks like it still has spots, if you might be interested Mel. Here is a thread on last year's trip.

I am signed up for the 29th and quite excited, I haven't been on this trip before. Are you going again this year @bigred97?

Yes I'll be there @connorp! But I'm not staying for the dinner and I will be wearing a mask. I have asthma so I'm being extra cautious. But it will be nice to meet you anyway! And this trip is really quite amazing - concretions just everywhere! You just have to learn what ones are most likely to have a fossil - typically the medium to smaller ones that aren't too thick and have nice symmetrical shapes. Whomever our guide is will be able to show some nice examples. This part of the Creek is where Lesquereux worked, quite amazing. I can't wait! Chris

On 8/16/2020 at 12:13 AM, connorp said:

The 30th looks like it still has spots, if you might be interested Mel. Here is a thread on last year's trip.

I am signed up for the 29th and quite excited, I haven't been on this trip before. Are you going again this year @bigred97?

I have seen the pictures, and I'm so excited. One of my absolute favorite things in the world is to spend a day exploring a creek. You never know what you will find. How do I get signed up for the 30th??? I think with the high price I will stick to just me and leave the fam at home, but I am sure everyone else there will be friendly and great company so I am not worried about arriving solo. 

9 minutes ago, I'm Mel said:

I have seen the pictures, and I'm so excited. One of my absolute favorite things in the world is to spend a day exploring a creek. You never know what you will find. How do I get signed up for the 30th??? I think with the high price I will stick to just me and leave the fam at home, but I am sure everyone else there will be friendly and great company so I am not worried about arriving solo. 

Here is the website: https://iandmcanal.org/event/mazon-creek-fossil-tour-2019/

I would call just to make sure there is still space, not sure how often the website is updated.

4 hours ago, connorp said:

Here is the website: https://iandmcanal.org/event/mazon-creek-fossil-tour-2019/

I would call just to make sure there is still space, not sure how often the website is updated.

Website took my Visa so I am signed up for a good time and a rare steak on the 30th. I can't wait!!!  I hope others from the forum will be making it on the 30th! I will definitely appreciate any tips from more experienced concretion hunters. 

I'm excited for you @I'm Mel! You will have a great time, everyone I have ever met at that trip has been super friendly and nice, just like the ESCONI trip. I will be there the day before, so perhaps we will meet at the ESCONI trip or some time next year instead. Have fun and report back on how it goes! Chris

Good luck on the trip, everyone! I really look forward to reading the trip reports. I had signed up early in the spring and really wanted to go, but COVID-19 has rearranged everything so unfortunately I had to cancel. 

3 hours ago, stats said:

Renewed my three year dues payment Saturday. Got my confirmation from Rose Monday. I’m in!

Finding my way through life; one fossil at a time.