Fossil Hunting Trips, daydream?

butchndad

Every Saturday morning i'm in Big Brook but when i leave there are 6.5 long days before i get to go again.  I find myself daydreaming about my next visit specifically or fossils in general.  Of course i read The Fossil Forum repeatedly, visit the great Big Brook sites on line (and others), i look at my "collection" and perhaps reorganize, i plan where in Big Brook i will go on my next trip and maybe consult some maps, and of course think about what i will find next visit and whats on my bucket list.   Doesn't matter if i'm at work or out on a run, my thoughts will sooner or later come back to "sharking" as my wife calls it.

I do understand that in time this will fade - not my collecting of course but the daydreaming about it.  I've had a number of hobbies/obsessions over the years (still running after 40 years, rotisserie baseball on hold per Covid after 35 years, still collecting Joseph Dixon Crucible Co artifacts after 7 years but did stop collecting rare books because it just got too expensive).  With all these hobbies/obsessions i would daydream about them constantly at the beginning and then with time, even though i pursued the activity with the same intensity as before i just didn't think about it as much when i wasn't actually doing it.

I guess i'm now daydreaming about daydreaming!!!

Your not alone when it comes to NJ fossil collecting daydreaming / addiction. It is a powerful force. I don't know what about fossil collecting makes it so enthralling.

: )

You're not alone! I've never gambled but I compare fossil hunting to playing the lottery and always winning. Whether or not I find fossils isn't a very big deal to me as I will always find something of value - even if it's the peace of a secluded place, or getting to see wildlife, or the adventure of finding a new place. I daydream about it every day ^_^

• I found this Informative 1

Same here. I did finally give up the bass tournaments, but through 60 years of crappie fishing, 55 years of guitar playing, 15 years of cycling, and six months of fossil collecting, my mind does wander off to my hobbies.