Has anyone ever found a megalodon tooth in New Jersey

Noel

I’ve heard of them being found in shark river and even big brook but I’ve never seen any there. Supposedly cape May has smaller teeth but I haven’t hunted there so I’m not sure.

I would highly doubt anyone has ever found a megalodon tooth in Big Brook unless it was dropped by another collector and I doubt that it was redeposited from a younger formation. I would imagine any report of a Meg tooth from Big Brook is either from a misidentified tooth or a "big fish story", or in this case a REALLY big fish story. 

I've heard reports of Otodus chubutensis (essentially megalodon) teeth coming from Shark River (I saw on NJFossils.net) I believe is Miocene, which in this case would fit.

I've not heard anything about Cape May.

Seeing as how Meg teeth have been found as far north as Martha's Vineyard, it would make sense to find them in Jersey.

Here's a pic of the chub from NJFossils.net Shark River page

whitetooth4.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

One of the New Jersey fossil sites claim Chubs are sometimes found from Shark River.

• I found this Informative 1

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

I feel like I’ve heard of them possibly being found in cape may, but that would be extremely rare. Definitely not in big brook unless it was salted by a parent or dropped by mistake. You can find chubs in shark river, I feel like I’ve heard stories or read stories about megs being found in shark river, but that would be very controversial.

Interestingly enough, I just started reading the preface to Mark Renz's "Megalodon, Hunting the Hunter." There he notes that Megalodon teeth have been found in New Jersey. If anyone has the book, it's pg. iv. Where he found that out, I'm not sure. It might be worth reaching out to him to find out.

On 8/16/2020 at 9:51 PM, PaleoNoel said:

I would highly doubt anyone has ever found a megalodon tooth in Big Brook unless it was dropped by another collector and I doubt that it was redeposited from a younger formation. I would imagine any report of a Meg tooth from Big Brook is either from a misidentified tooth or a "big fish story", or in this case a REALLY big fish story. 

I've heard reports of Otodus chubutensis (essentially megalodon) teeth coming from Shark River (I saw on NJFossils.net) I believe is Miocene, which in this case would fit.

I've not heard anything about Cape May.

Seeing as how Meg teeth have been found as far north as Martha's Vineyard, it would make sense to find them in Jersey.

Here's a pic of the chub from NJFossils.net Shark River page

whitetooth4.jpg

Thanks for the info, nice name by the way.

12 minutes ago, BellamyBlake said:

Interestingly enough, I just started reading the preface to Mark Renz's "Megalodon, Hunting the Hunter." There he notes that Megalodon teeth have been found in New Jersey. If anyone has the book, it's pg. iv. Where he found that out, I'm not sure. It might be worth reaching out to him to find out.

Will do. Thanks

1 hour ago, Noel said:

Thanks haha it's a good one 

1 hour ago, Noel said:

27 minutes ago, PaleoNoel said:

Thanks haha it's a good one 

:heartylaugh:

In Cumberland County, New Jersey true megalodon teeth were found in sand pits back in the 1800's.   I believe some have also been found on the beach over the years.

Here is an example collected many years ago at the Philadelphia Academy of Natural Science.  The original label was inaccurately labeled as Cretaceous. 

carcharodon.jpg

• I found this Informative 5

21 hours ago, Dryptosaur said:

In Cumberland County, New Jersey true megalodon teeth were found in sand pits back in the 1800's.   I believe some have also been found on the beach over the years.

Here is an example collected many years ago at the Philadelphia Academy of Natural Science.  The original label was inaccurately labeled as Cretaceous. 

carcharodon.jpg

well then, i'll be back in Big Brook next saturday;  "Meg Or Bust!!!"

If you do a search on this site, you might find a post by someone who has found at least one.  Some of the old-timers might have one from there.  I recall Fossilselachian was looking to buy or trade for one when I met him in 1989.  He wasn't asking about dragon teeth.  He knew there were collectors who had them.

Jess