Interesting STH micro shark remains

fossilsonwheels

I am still not back to work so I’m pretty bored and don’t have new micro matrix to pick through so I have been examining some STH micros I found in previously searched matrix we got from @JBMugu awhile back. 

One of the denticles I found stood out from all others. I only found one of this morphology in all the matrix I searched. I set it aside in it’s own bag in with the other denticles. I forgot about it until a search for papers on Echinorhinus fossils. I saw a photo of Echinorhinus denticles and I remembered the denticle I found. It looks so similar that I think that is what this little beauty is. 

I also believe we might have a tiny Squatina vertebra. I found a post on TFF about them and remembered a strange little vert I found. Under the scope, it looks very similar to a vertebra from a published paper that was in the TFF post. It’s not fish or mammal. It’s also not typical shark or typical of the other STH batoid vertebra we found. For now I’m going with Squatina but I’ll use pencil on the label. 

Once I get a chance to get to my museum again, I’ll get better pictures and try to confirm the ID’s. Until then, here are a couple of cell phone pics that won’t do them justice lol 

DCD472B2-897B-4DBE-8962-2125AF973AAF.jpeg

3AEFEEDD-E375-42C0-9B76-D95000BED612.jpeg

• I found this Informative 4

I would love more. Still haven’t found a Scyliorhinus so there is motivation to keep searching lol 

Hi Kurt,

I does look like a Echinorhinus dermal denticle.  It should have ridges that radiate from the cusp to the edge so it looks like an umbrella from a straight down view.  It might need some very gentle cleaning to see the ridges.

Jess.

• I found this Informative 1

On 8/23/2020 at 12:02 AM, siteseer said:

Hi Kurt,

I does look like a Echinorhinus dermal denticle.  It should have ridges that radiate from the cusp to the edge so it looks like an umbrella from a straight down view.  It might need some very gentle cleaning to see the ridges.

Jess.

Hi Jess

The ridges are present they just don’t show up in the photo. That is what it looks like under the scope ! I am pretty stoked, it’s a cool little find 

Kurt