Should I restore this, or Keep as is? T-Rex gastralia.

PrehistoricWonders

1E9F3A63-0701-4CFB-A6D7-206DF23ECF9B.jpeg.6c0b79ece70f3d00e88624a2f832f377.jpegHi everyone, 

do you all think this would look better with the cracks filled and fully restored or as is?

Depends entirely on personal preferences. I tend to enjoy most fossils unrestored, but I understand the appeal they have to many collectors. I myself have 2 projects that would look really nice if a little restoration were done, so I've been deliberating on that. To each their own.

Crack filling is typically done on HC material to help stabilize the bone and improve appearance.  Restoration is your call then you have to ask yourself how far do you go.  Do you just restore the section you have or the entire bone which can be quite long.  Curious how do you know for sure what you have belongs to a Trex might help answer your questions  ? 

Thanks for the replies,

On 8/20/2020 at 9:03 AM, Troodon said:

Crack filling is typically done on HC material to help stabilize the bone and improve appearance.  Restoration is your call then you have to ask yourself how far do you go.  Do you just restore the section you have or the entire bone which can be quite long.  Curious how do you know for sure what you have belongs to a Trex might help answer your questions  ? 

the seller labeled it as a T-Rex gastralia which is oddly specific since there is not a lot about it, but I asked on the forum and you posted a pic of paper and the gastralia looked extremely similar.

Forgot that post.  Just caution you not to trust what sellers claim especially if its Trex and the evidence is just look at all the misidentified items posted on this forum.  Have to believe that like ribs, gastralia is pretty similar and fragments hard to ID.

14 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Forgot that post.  Just caution you not to trust what sellers claim especially if its Trex and the evidence is just look at all the misidentified items posted on this forum.  Have to believe that like ribs, gastralia is pretty similar and fragments hard to ID.

Yeah, I always try to post on the forum if it’s any kind of bone or Dino tooth, but the time I bought this one it was an auction and it was running out of time so I decided to take a risk.