French Theropod tooth?

BonuFrailman

Hi again,

I saw this tooth online and was wondering what you guys could make of it. The seller calls it a ‘Nuthetes’ tooth but from my knowledge Nuthetes has not been found in France. 

Something odd to me is the preservation, it just looks off for France.

The seller has provided only one photo but a decent amount of information. Let me know what you think.

Chevres-Richemont Quarry

Chevres-de-Cognac, Charente, SW France

France

Extremely rare 15mm theropod.

Dinosaur, Theropod

32007382-8523-4792-9A09-11BA61B71107.jpeg

Not sure you will get an ID on this tooth.  Its an theropod indet.    The color if the tooth might just be due to poor preservation and prep.  This is where you really need to know the seller and have some degree of confidence in his listing.

A somewhat similar tooth from my collection

Screenshot_20200822-183914_Drive.thumb.jpg.621c5d719532488cac57778855029ff4.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

16 hours ago, BonuFrailman said:

Chevres-Richemont Quarry

Chevres-de-Cognac, Charente, SW France

the correct name is Cherves, not chevres.

• I found this Informative 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/22/2020 at 8:26 PM, Troodon said:

Not sure you will get an ID on this tooth.  Its an theropod indet.    The color if the tooth might just be due to poor preservation and prep.  This is where you really need to know the seller and have some degree of confidence in his listing.

A somewhat similar tooth from my collection

Screenshot_20200822-183914_Drive.thumb.jpg.621c5d719532488cac57778855029ff4.jpg

Nice tooth! I read about the possibility of a proceratosaurid at Cherves which I think would be a more fitting ID for this type of morphology, assuming it’s a theropod dinosaurian. If I find the paper again, I’ll make sure to post it on this page. Do you think that it’s possible that the morphology you posted could be a different type of archosaur (crocodilian, pterosaur?) or do you believe theropod?

Best ID for theropod teeth from Cherves-de-Cognac is Theropod indet. Too many unknowns at the moment.

Yea I would lean toward it being theropod but so little is published anything is possible.  Proceratosaurid is interesting would like to see the paper if you can find it.

17 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Yea I would lean toward it being theropod but so little is published anything is possible.  Proceratosaurid is interesting would like to see the paper if you can find it.

Sure I can try to take a look tonight and see if I can’t find it again. If I remember correctly, it was from 2004 so a little dated.