otto_haas

Hello. I am considering trading for a few late Cretaceous-era theropod teeth from the American West (I think Wyoming/Montana) and would like some help confirming what they are. They are in ok condition, but I don't have any dinosaur teeth in my collection so I am very excited to bring these in. I'm not sure what formation they are from. I was hoping to narrow these down to a species, or at least get a second opinion. First one is a tooth that I was told is a tyrannosaur ind. Thoughts? I have been reading a lot of what @Troodon has posted so I am tagging him since he seems to be the resident expert. I will post pictures of the others as soon as my fellow trader sends me them. Thank you! 

image5 (1).jpeg

image0 (1).jpeg

Screen Shot 2020-08-24 at 1.17.39 PM.png

image3.jpeg

Welcome to the Forum 

Yes its an indeterminate Tyrannosaurid tooth.  Without a specific locality you cannot go any further with identification.  So if its Hell Creek or Lance Fm its T-rex.  However if from one of the Campanian deposits in Montana its an indeterminate tyrannosaurid.

Always best to post color photos to see preservation and condition.  Need to see both sides of tooth no fingers please 

• I found this Informative 1

Terrific. Thank you! I'll do that. I thought black and white would show contrast better for easier identification. :) The next photos will be in color. How do you know it's tyrannosaur? I've read a lot of material and had trouble seeing what specific characteristics would support what the trader thought one way or another. 

Its a Tyrannosaurid because there is no other dinosaur that supports teeth that large/robust in the late Cretaceous of WY or MT

• I found this Informative 1