Zebra incisor?

MrBones

Hello again,

I found this tooth today, it instantly reminded me of zebras' front teeth, but I could like some confirmation.

It's from the Miocene era, found in Ruwais, Abu Dhabi, UAE.20200826_191944.thumb.jpg.03f2df6a8f49e38b043c31bf3f9ddff8.jpg20200826_192012.thumb.jpg.c179700edc74030cc151a70040c25326.jpg20200826_192039.thumb.jpg.d972b47bd1b14736b405e7e031f2fe9c.jpg

horse incisor, I think.  Is there a reason you say zebra rather than ordinary horse?

34 minutes ago, jpc said:

horse incisor, I think.  Is there a reason you say zebra rather than ordinary horse?

Were horses native to the Middle East in the Miocene? I've heard about zebras (or zebra-like animals) being here a few million years ago. Hipparion is one of the equus species that lived here.

Oh, I missed the Miocene part.  Oops.  I will hereby claim ignorance of the Miocene of the Arabian Penninsula.  

1 minute ago, jpc said:

Oh, I missed the Miocene part.  Oops.  I will hereby claim ignorance of the Miocene of the Arabian Penninsula.  

Hehe, don't beat yourself up. Glad you agree it looks horse-like.

Zebras are equines of the genus Equus which originated in North America 4 - 4.5 mya. 

They entered Eurasia about three million years ago. 

So don't think it can be a Miocene zebra or from the genus Equus. 

It does look horse-like, so either younger or a different member of the family Equidae?   

• I found this Informative 2
5 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Zebras are equines of the genus Equus which originated in North America 4 - 4.5 mya. 

They entered Eurasia about three million years ago. 

So don't think it can be a Miocene zebra or from the genus Equus. 

It does look horse-like, so either younger or a different member of the family Equidae?   

These are all the known miocene species of my area, the tooth might be from Hipparion, but I am not an expert on this.Screenshot_20200826-214006_Chrome.thumb.jpg.7ce05c6d227e88e3d997634db5bc2355.jpg

• I found this Informative 1