Jump to content

Zebra incisor?


MrBones

Recommended Posts

Hello again,

I found this tooth today, it instantly reminded me of zebras' front teeth, but I could like some confirmation.

It's from the Miocene era, found in Ruwais, Abu Dhabi, UAE.20200826_191944.thumb.jpg.03f2df6a8f49e38b043c31bf3f9ddff8.jpg20200826_192012.thumb.jpg.c179700edc74030cc151a70040c25326.jpg20200826_192039.thumb.jpg.d972b47bd1b14736b405e7e031f2fe9c.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

horse incisor, I think.  Is there a reason you say zebra rather than ordinary horse?

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, jpc said:

horse incisor, I think.  Is there a reason you say zebra rather than ordinary horse?

Were horses native to the Middle East in the Miocene? I've heard about zebras (or zebra-like animals) being here a few million years ago. Hipparion is one of the equus species that lived here.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh, I missed the Miocene part.  Oops.  I will hereby claim ignorance of the Miocene of the Arabian Penninsula.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jpc said:

Oh, I missed the Miocene part.  Oops.  I will hereby claim ignorance of the Miocene of the Arabian Penninsula.  

Hehe, don't beat yourself up. Glad you agree it looks horse-like.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Zebras are equines of the genus Equus which originated in North America 4 - 4.5 mya. 

They entered Eurasia about three million years ago. 

So don't think it can be a Miocene zebra or from the genus Equus. 

It does look horse-like, so either younger or a different member of the family Equidae?   

  • I found this Informative 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Zebras are equines of the genus Equus which originated in North America 4 - 4.5 mya. 

They entered Eurasia about three million years ago. 

So don't think it can be a Miocene zebra or from the genus Equus. 

It does look horse-like, so either younger or a different member of the family Equidae?   

These are all the known miocene species of my area, the tooth might be from Hipparion, but I am not an expert on this.Screenshot_20200826-214006_Chrome.thumb.jpg.7ce05c6d227e88e3d997634db5bc2355.jpg

 

  • I found this Informative 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...