New Display! Consolidated Collection

JamieLynn

I just "inherited" a lovely shelf that my Dad built in 1962.  It had been at my Aunts and she is downsizing.....so I got it! It was a "lovely" green that my grandmother thought was the best color ever (we have at least three pieces of furniture painted that verdigris green, including one we affectionately call the Hunkajunk.  My dad is still a hobby woodworker,  though now he mostly does carvings of boat paddles, spoons and other smaller things.  He opted out of the furniture biz a long time ago!  

I was contemplating getting some bookshelves for just such a display upgrade, so this was a timely thing! I managed to consolidate at least most of my collection (there are two other "spots" in the house not to mention the outdoors but hey it's MOSTLY all together)  Anyways, I think it looks pretty good in my dining room.  Mostly Texas Cretaceous, with a few other things from travels to Florida, England and Utah and some trades with other Forum members and the only two fossils that were purchased - the fish from Green River (a gift from my Mom and Dad)  and the Brittlestar from Germany. 

(Copper Trilobite and Pearl Horse artwork is by me) :)

118459972_10223705475334970_5791447712713878265_o.thumb.jpg.d437e89576d912785d9e70d0f61bbfde.jpg

• I found this Informative 17

Awesome display!  I want to see more.  Could you enclose closeups of the various shelves, stands, etc.  The shelf is a beautiful piece of work and displays the collection well.

• I found this Informative 1

GREAT display!!!!:envy: I can’t wait till my collection is that big, but I don’t know how I’ll display it.

@grandpa   Well, if you insist. :)   

Bottom Shelf -  Texas Pennsylvanian

5f46c60179189_shelfbottom2.jpg.bad3f917523a1a78fca544555d728b3d.jpg

and Cretaceous and Eocene 

5f46c6023063c_shelfbottom.jpg.70de05d603861a3e3733ddce95eda161.jpg

Next shelf up is Texas Best Cretaceous: 

5f46c62753cb3_halfshelf1again.jpg.ac631c13198e7722bbd745459d8c38f1.jpg

5f46c62813c67_halfshelf2.jpg.e33c626fdb71d18b02a769164e83434f.jpg

Top Shelf is Travel:  Top: Utah Trilos, Missouri Crinoids, Oregon shells,  Florida Pliocene   Bottom: More Florida Pliocene and England Jurrassic Coast 

5f46c60436455_shelftravel.jpg.9010ecfeb60a4dc3725d09e42d66310f.jpg

Very top shelf is Key West Florida  and Venice Florida plus my Wyoming Fish and a Utah Sponge (grey upright) 

5f46c60379034_shelftop.jpg.4818019eb93fe7f1ad9470ba91682a96.jpg

Very bottom shelf is Minis from Oklahoma and Texas

5f46c602b3c1d_shelfminis.jpg.077ec9cff120a82669cbc8e259281cbf.jpg

Side Displays 

Echies and Ammos

5f46c5ff24e3d_Shelf1echies.thumb.jpg.bfd27b7e41674ec2724b87a42143aeff.jpg

More Texas Cretaceous and Pennsylvanian 

5f46c5fff2db9_Shelf2.thumb.jpg.ba1df305a9d012f51a95ee392f35c0ca.jpg

And lastly, other display of more Ammos, Echies and my "littles"

5f46c600b5f13_shelfammos.jpg.a005252e42dcbe68cc51b915e528b9d6.jpg

hhahaha...and there's still more......but that's enough for now. 

• I found this Informative 11

Thanks so much for sharing; I love it!  ;)

Also, I see a lot of familiar fossils that I can well relate to.  :fistbump:

This is a great Central Texas collection, very representative of what can be found in our area of the world.  For those who wonder what fossils can be found in Central Texas (with a lot of time spent looking), just look at the displays above and you will have a good sense of what our area of the world has to offer. 

@JamieLynn I would like to see an image of the horse head and read about it's creation.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

1 hour ago, Familyroadtrip said:

GREAT display!!!!:envy: I can’t wait till my collection is that big, but I don’t know how I’ll display it.

You will probably go through many iterations of your display....as we all have! It starts small and slowly creeps and creeps and takes over your house.....hahahha

Yeah! Lol:heartylaugh:I’ve probably changed my setup, at least 40-60 times!!!

@snolly50  :) This is The Pearl Horse. Going to get a little mystical on you here:  I was in Greece on a tour of the Oracle sites and had a "dream" about a white horse that dove into the ocean and became a Hippocampus (the mer-horse of Greek Legend) and it told me "I can touch every land (continent) from the sea".  So I started The Pearl Horse. Sadly, as you can see, I have not FINISHED the Pearl Horse. I really need to. It is going to have coral stems for it's mane. Just need to get my act together and finish it. Thanks for your interest!! 

118014299_10223706582482648_4437834676412595639_o.thumb.jpg.d60931ddd72990e66c9150c16ae4b07e.jpg

• I found this Informative 5

Very artistic display!!!!  My fossils are in plastic fruit containers stored in a barn. So I am envious when forum members show such wonderful creations. 

Mike

3 minutes ago, minnbuckeye said:

Very artistic display!!!!  My fossils are in plastic fruit containers stored in a barn. So I am envious when forum members show such wonderful creations. 

Mike

Hahahah!! I can totally envision that.....I bet you have quite a few fruit containers.....

2 hours ago, JamieLynn said:

The Pearl Horse.

It's striking and lovely, do "finish" it. @Bobby Rico have a look.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Thanks @snolly50 for the heads up much appreciated my friend. 

@JamieLynn I love your Pearl horse head work of art. You definitely captured the texture and contours of a horse . Very nicely worked details, I like the hair curl on the forehead.  Great addition to your natural history collection and it reminds me of Damien Hirst’s Skull “For the Love of God“ .  I definitely would finish it when you have the time . Thanks for sharing 

BTW your collection looks great too

First, great display, it's shaping up well! More stuff packed into one open area than anywhere in my collection...

Impressive artwork with the horse, and interesting story behind it. Are those real pearls, or fake? I guess it would be pretty expensive to assemble from real ones, but I wouldn't know - maybe pearls are easier to obtain these days with culturing going on. I'm also interested in seeing the copper trilobite closer.

Also I'm curious about the Utah sponge, can you show a better pic of it or have you already on the forum somewhere?

And is that knobby ammonite a Douvilleiceras and is it from Texas also?

@Wrangellian - Thanks! To answer your questions - no, those are not real pearls. That would be awesome, but yeah...too expensive for my artist's budget!  The copper trilobite is my first attempt at doing some paleo art .  It turned out okay, I see where i need to make adjustments, so will be making more (smaller ones) in the future. This is a style of artwork I've been doing for many years called Repousse. Usually my artworks are of extant animals and some mythological animals, so I am branching out into my new paleo interests!   And here is a picture of the sponge too.  I was told at U-Dig Fossils that it was a sponge.  And the ammonite is a Scaphites, not a Douvilleiceras and it is from North Texas on the Sulfur River. 

Copper Trilobite 12 in x 2 in

118584206_10223711155556972_2581928278562894149_o.jpg.c1e0f76e1a9f052bfc06123eb0fdb68a.jpg

Utah Sponge 

DSCN1446.thumb.JPG.67e107cdf62830b4837f28a2fc4b3b67.JPG

• I found this Informative 2

Very nice and esthetic way of fossils presentation! There is also an order kept (I mean to keep particular types of specimen together), so perfect!

Ah. I've seen that form of embossed metal artwork (and tried it myself once), but never knew the name. Whether the trilo is accurate or not, it's very attractive, great subject for that medium!

I don't know why I didn't recognize a scaphite when I saw it.

The sponge looks to me like Margaretia dorus (an alga though recently proposed as a sort of worm tube), but there could be a separate sponge on there also? I can't tell.