Megalodon - Philippines

BellamyBlake

I have here a Megalodon that the seller claims is found in the Philippines. I'm requesting more information, but none is provided. As far as I know these teeth are rare, and it doesn't seem to me that this preservation is of the Philippines. I'd like some more opinions on this please.

1.jpg

Edit: I received provenance from the seller, who contacted the supplier for it. The claim is that this Megalodon tooth was found in Sarangani Island, Mindanao, on the beach.  I found a geological map of the Island via http://portal.onegeology.org/OnegeologyGlobal/:

image.png.ff879d8c1e3b76ff815f79d982697da1.png

The formation of Sarangani (the island to the right, despite what this map says) is noted to be "Upper Miocene-Pliocene." Thus, the formation dates back to 11.6 million years, to 2.58 million years at its youngest, and appears to coincide with Megalodon. The part I'm less certain about is the preservation. I'm thankful that the map describes some of the details of that, namely, "Largely marine clastics (molasse) overlain by extensive, locally transgressive pyroclastics (chiefly tuff, tuffites) and tuffaceous sedimentary rocks." I'm wondering if these elements explain the preservation of the tooth I'm looking at.

Could be from "anywhere", also Indonesia or even US. It comes down whether you believe the seller or not. I don't even believe that teeth in this condition are rare (not rare in Indonesia and not rare in Philippines);)

• I found this Informative 1

4 hours ago, aeon.rocks said:

Could be from "anywhere", also Indonesia or even US. It comes down whether you believe the seller or not. I don't even believe that teeth in this condition are rare (not rare in Indonesia and not rare in Philippines);)

They're contacting the supplier for more info but as it stands it doesn't appear we have a deal haha

Got some megs from the philippines. Bought the direct from the guy who found them. Don‘t think they are extreme rare. So I think its possible your tooth is also from there.