Cenomanian Shark teeth from Russia for Heterodontus teeth

fossilsonwheels

From the Saratov Region of Russia, we have Cenomanian shark teeth  from the Melovatka Formation

We got quite a few teeth from this formation and I have filled the displays, finished a couple of trades with a few of these and I still have many many teeth for give aways. Most of the teeth were Striatolamia with quite a few Archaeolamna. We found a few other interesting teeth and many are really Lamniformes indet so some of the ID's are educated guesses. Still these are some interesting teeth from a cool formation. They are all small teeth, under .5"

10 Eostriatolamia ( there are 4 pictured but I will add 6 nice ones to that)

2 Archaeolamna

2 Cretalamna type teeth

1 Synechodus- could be a Paraorthacodus

1 possible Cretoxyrhina. It fits the morphology of Ginsus from the Cenomanian of Russia that I have or have seen

1 possible Psuedoscapanorhynchus- my best guess

I will work on getting some better pictures this weekend but I will post a couple now so you get the general idea.

My want list is fairly simple

Heterodontus teeth- We do not need any STH or UK Heterodontus teeth but am looking for other locations especially Chile or Belgium.

Small and simple trade lol 

If you are interested, drop me a PM

011.JPG

021.JPG

006.JPG

• 3 months later...

Hi Kurt,

Synechodus and Paraorthacodus teeth are very similar but I was told that the cusplets in Synechodus are outgrowths of enameloid from the heels while the cusplets in Partaorthacodus are connected to the root.  It's hard to tell from the photo but yours looks like a Synechodus.

In the mid-late 90's a lot of teeth were coming out of Kazakhstan.  I tried to get a sample of everything but it appears I missed a few odd species.  However, I did get some Synechodus which actually appear to be somewhat common at one of the Cenomanian-age sites (Tyk-Butak).  Paraorthacodus is uncommon.  Over the years, I traded away most of my extras.  Both seem to be rare elsewhere.  I think I have one Synechodus from a site in Wyoming and a couple from France and just a few Paraorthacodus from Montana, Liverpool Point (MD), Herne Bay (UK), and Belgium. 

You might be able to get a pretty big Heterodontus lateral tooth (1/2 inch) from the Portland area of Australia.  They can be worn but also larger than what you see from other sites.  Try to get one with at least a little of the surface ornamentation.  The specimens tend to be most of the crown eroded at the edges and with little to no root.  Decades ago, teeth came out of Argentina too but the country cracked down on exports of any fossils by the 90's (even before Peru and Chile did).

Jess

• I found this Informative 1