It looks like a tree to me

Ptp2844

Good day everyone.

I'm new to this, but very intrigued. My father found this on our camp in Oak Hill NY. It is on the border of Albany and Greene County. We are at approximately 1400' elevation. To me my, my first instinct was "its a tree". But im certainly not a trained eye. Can anyone help? 

Its approximately 22" diameter. 

Only about 5" tall.  

Either way I think its a really cool mantle piece. 

Thanks in advance

20200828_185811.jpg

20200828_185657.jpg

20200828_185927.jpg

I think that's a nice geologic piece, but wait for other's opinion.

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

With all due respect, is that a way of saying....."it is simply a nice rock"? I'm not being facetious, I'm uneducated....lol

• I found this Informative 2

59 minutes ago, Ptp2844 said:

With all due respect, is that a way of saying....."it is simply a nice rock"? I'm not being facetious, I'm uneducated....lol

Yes. :heartylaugh:

I got to go along with rock. Blowing up the pictures I can’t see any sign of grain,rings, or texture but if you have pictures showing them I could change my mind...

Casts of Devonian Age fossil trees have been found in Greene and Schoharie Counties. I don't think your piece is one of them. The ones I've seen look quite a bit different. There is a pretty good amount of information on them online. There's one in my Middle Devonian gallery if you want to check it out. 

We try not to be too rude, but it's a rock. It is a very interesting rock. The last photo shows a bit of what looks like "boxwork". Google it. Often mistaken for fossil organisms. It's worth the time to ask, and worth our time to answer. We get many newcomers who can't handle the answer that their "find" is nothing special other than something that just happens. We occasionally get folks who want their chunk of concrete identified, and then refuse to believe that it's concrete. So we try our best to ease people into it as opposed to just tossing them off the cliff.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

Hey everybody, thanks for the great informative responses. I often say......"don't try and tell help how to help!" I have been trying to do more of my own research and certainly trust your assessments. And thank you all for taking time out of your day to reply! 

I will def post more, as I do find several other "fossils" or impressions that are embedded withing the stone walls all over my property!

I think we are truly blessed to have such interesting sites.