Nimravis

I & M Canal Corridor Association MAZON CREEK Trip

Wrangellian

Looks like a great way to spend a day. Good thing that there is still access (if only via a private property owner's permission) to the river, if all the mine areas are to be overpicked and/or overgrown eventually.

I don't remember if I asked before, but do you ever find fossils in the regular shale there, even if they are more crumbly and hard to recover intact, or do they pretty much only occur in concretions?

Praefectus

Amazing finds and great pictures! Thanks for the photo tour. It looks great out there. 

Monica

It looks like you had a perfect day yesterday, Ralph!  You had sun, great food (at least it looks like it was great!), and fossils - I am very :envy:

Fossildude19

Great report Ralph!

Thanks for putting this together.

Looks like a great time had by all.  :) 

Nimravis
6 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

don't remember if I asked before, but do you ever find fossils in the regular shale there, even if they are more crumbly and hard to recover intact, or do they pretty much only occur in concretions?

I did not at this location, but other locations I have and yes they were crumbly and did not hold up well and eventually fell apart.

Nimravis
1 hour ago, Monica said:

It looks like you had a perfect day yesterday, Ralph!  You had sun, great food (at least it looks like it was great!), and fossils - I am very :envy:

Yes Monica, the weather was beautiful, the river temp was warm, the food was tasty and the company was great.

Nimravis
51 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

Great report Ralph!

Thanks for putting this together.

Looks like a great time had by all.  :) 

Thanks- it was fun and I would guess that there were at least a couple thousand concretions collected in total by the participants.

Tidgy's Dad

Well, looks like it was more than worth it in the end after all. 

Great report as usual Ralph. :)

And lovely to see people acting responsibly. 

Whack it or freeze/ thaw? 

Nimravis
11 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

Looks like a great way to spend a day. Good thing that there is still access (if only via a private property owner's permission) to the river, if all the mine areas are to be overpicked and/or overgrown eventually.

I don't remember if I asked before, but do you ever find fossils in the regular shale there, even if they are more crumbly and hard to recover intact, or do they pretty much only occur in concretions?

Here is a piece that I found in my bucket from yesterday, and yes they fall apart.

43EE5F5E-6D92-4DA5-849B-B4AF8F00DB66.jpeg.481d7e4c2b31576db38ef9cdb9c4c1f9.jpeg

connorp
35 minutes ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

How deep was the water?

The water was super shallow. Most areas no more than a couple inches deep. The land owner said it was the lowest he’s seen it in a while.

deutscheben

Thanks for sharing, all! I swear next year will be the year I finally get up there for this trip, it looks like an absolutely lovely time.

Nimravis
4 hours ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

P.S. -- How deep was the water? Were you able to collect from the "holes"?

Mark, like @connorp said, the water level was very low, but the deeper portions were probably 2 feet deep.

Wrangellian
8 hours ago, connorp said:

@Wrangellian Here’s a small fern from the shale itself I collected yesterday. The shale turns to mud really quickly so it’s tough to get anything decent from it, especially along a river.

7 hours ago, Nimravis said:

Here is a piece that I found in my bucket from yesterday, and yes they fall apart.

I guess you're not used to carrying glue around if you're focusing on the conc's, maybe the fossils are relatively not worth it, but I'm used to stabilizing fragile shale fossils with thin superglue or paraloid solution, but of course the rock needs to be dry.

jpc

This looks like a fun trip.  Thanks for the report.