Mosasaur Tooth

I spent most of yesterday in a hospital waiting room and passed the time reading the forum. While I was already aware of some of the things they get up to in Morocco, I was shocked to see just how many Mosasaur related posts there are in this section of the forum. We have this piece in my daughter’s collection and I was wondering if it’s anything more than just a genuine crown stuck on something to look like a root.

I have soaked it in cold water for around an hour and while it didn’t all crumble away to nothing, a couple of bits came off and touching it left a sticky residue on my fingers.

I have seen people on here decide that the presence of other fish/bone material in the matrix is a good sign that it’s genuine but I have looked around and seen hundreds of mosasaur and plesiosaur teeth in these suspicious little Moroccan matrix blocks with a few random fish verts thrown in for effect.

20E2FB05-2EFC-4833-B0BB-15B7619EDB64.jpeg

4852CEFC-2F72-4CD9-A927-B038AA7AAC7B.jpeg

Wow! Nice tooth. It is a genuine Platecarpus ptychodon mosasaur tooth. They are found in the Maastrichtian-aged Khouribga phosphate deposits near Oued Zem, Morocco. Below are a few of mine for comparison. 

5f4bf448c2d6a_20Platecarpus.jpg.b45aadab984c1c46b7fa62ba6dccd1e8.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

23 minutes ago, Praefectus said:

Wow! Nice tooth. It is a genuine Platecarpus ptychodon mosasaur tooth. They are found in the Maastrichtian-aged Khouribga phosphate deposits near Oued Zem, Morocco. Below are a few of mine for comparison. 

Thank you. Do you think the piece as a whole is genuine or has it been glued into fake matrix either for stability or to make it more visually appealing?

The whole piece looks genuine. The matrix is original Moroccan matrix and I do not see anything that would indicate that it was glued. 

• I found this Informative 1

Yes, this looks all good. No red flags at all. You got a real rooted tooth there with what looks like a piece of reptile bone fragment and several fish vertebrae.

The tooth itself is indeed "Platecarpus" ptychodon. Note that I put the genus in quotes because it's possible this species does not belong to the genus of Platecarpus.

• I found this Informative 1

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Im wondering why there would be a sticky residue on your fingers after that water soak?  Dang nice tooth though.

RB

hi

the sticky residus is elmers glue, they used it for consolidation. nice teeth.

• I found this Informative 2

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. Terry Pratchett ...

21 minutes ago, jnoun11 said:

hi

the sticky residus is elmers glue, they used it for consolidation. nice teeth.

Good to know, thank you.

Thank you for all the input everyone. I suppose part of my doubt stemmed from the fact that I paid very little for such a nicely rooted tooth

That looks great!  I wish I had such a lovely rooted tooth in matrix...

Stop soaking it in water or the matrix may fall apart!