Gizzard stone

moatsy

Found in a small Yellowcat wash, outside Moab, UT while scouring for petrified wood. Not near a uranium mine. Partially exposed and nothing else like it around the area all day. The wash was in Morrison material. About 3” x 5”. Super shiny even without washing. Thanks!

7C3C42AC-A175-423E-B8DD-2EC95C7B9371.jpeg

33B8B4BB-9C13-40F6-8377-C1861379C43B.jpeg

D4B16A10-C32A-4A0F-B119-A963C2E85FE3.jpeg

If I'm not mistaken, to positively identify gastroliths, they need to be found in a quantity, and usually with/within  other remains of the dinosaur that made use of them.

Could it be one?  Possibly.

Could it just be a tumbled stone?  Yes. 

I think the odds of it being a gastrolith are slim, myself. 

• I found this Informative 3

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Makes sense. It was a small wash at the top of a 200 foot high hill. This wash did not tumble it or anything else smooth, perhaps a different wash 20 mya. The reflectivity was why I wondered. It’s naturally shiny unlike the other dull agates around. Reflectivity has traditionally been the primary way of identifying these. Much more reflective while dry than even super smooth river stone. I may cut it or at least X-ray it to see if it’s an agate with an inclusion. 

1 hour ago, moatsy said:

perhaps a different wash 20 mya.

Washes x years x random durable stones that beat the odds and tumbled that far, is still probably greater odds than gastroliths unless you're like far out in the western interior seaway.

Tim said it best 

"If I'm not mistaken, to positively identify gastroliths, they need to be found in a quantity, and usually with/within  other remains of the dinosaur that made use of them.

Could it be one?  Possibly " 

Without evidence that supports it being a gastrolith there is no way to positively call it one.  

• I found this Informative 2

@moatsy Here is an old post that discusses some of the features that gastroliths exhibit. The whole thread makes an interesting read, I believe. While you are facing an uphill battle establishing that an isolated stone is a gastrolith, the distinction reported between water-worn and gut polished may be of interest to you.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See