Cleaning Elrathia Trilobites

Bguild

Question for the prep people out there. I have a handful of unprepped, but we’ll exposed Elrathia trilobites I’m hoping to clean up, but I don’t have any scribes or wire brushes. Are there any simple alternatives I can use to polish these guys? :trilo:

Cheers!

44 minutes ago, Bguild said:

Question for the prep people out there. I have a handful of unprepped, but we’ll exposed Elrathia trilobites I’m hoping to clean up, but I don’t have any scribes or wire brushes. Are there any simple alternatives I can use to polish these guys? :trilo:

Cheers!

Avoid the wire brushes!  They do a lot of damage to the fine detail on these trilobites.

Don

If you want something a little more advanced than a wall tack, get a pin vice and some needles.  Will probably give you a little better control.  Hand prep is still the best prep in my opinion, but it is much slower than mechanical or pneumatic methods.

• I found this Informative 2

After you get most of the matrix off, a vigorous brushing with a stiff toothbrush and a paste of baking soda can help to clean off the last residue of matrix without doing damage to fine tubercles and other surface features.

Don

• I found this Informative 1

21 hours ago, Bguild said:

Cheers!

I use an Exacto knife for most of my prep work.  You have to work carefully and slowly though.

1 hour ago, Ruger9a said:

I use an Exacto knife for most of my prep work.  You have to work carefully and slowly though.

I do enough damage to myself with my pins. :Horrified:

• I found this Informative 2

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

48 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

I guess an Inexacto knife is right out then.

Don

11 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

LOL, I would have a hard time using those tiny things as well, I need something will a bigger handle.  I find the Exacto to be the easiest and most accurate on softer matrix, once I got used to it.  Also, they are cheap and you can get many different shaped blades to reach some of the tougher spots.  I use it on the majority of my Oreodont fossils as well, especially the teeth.