Is This A Fossil?

oasis

post-2620-12619308722594_thumb.jpgpost-2620-12619308915068_thumb.jpgpost-2620-1261930911277_thumb.jpgpost-2620-12619309399343_thumb.jpgpost-2620-12619309603546_thumb.jpgHi people, im new to all this so please bear with me. i was metal detecting a couple of months ago, and while i was scanning the floor, my eyes fell upon this. i dont know what it is, but it was suggested to me that it could be a fossil. hope someone can help. Thanks Chrispost-2620-12619308272555_thumb.jpgpost-2620-12619308498568_thumb.jpg

Well from your pics may be some kind of echinoid.

Not sure as I haven't seen one that looks just like that one.

Do you know if it was found in the Cretaceous?

Welcome to the forum!

Well from your pics may be some kind of echinoid.

Not sure as I haven't seen one that looks just like that one.

Do you know if it was found in the Cretaceous?

Erm, im that new rozilla, i dont know? I found it in a recently ploughed field in the uk, it was sat on the surface. i dont really have clue about fossils, but im really intrigued, someone suggested that it looked like a sea urchin but was shaped like a gastropod? Chris

Well I don't think the shape is like a gastropod (snail) at all.

Keep checking back as there is a chance I am wrong.

Since you are new, you could type your area where you found it and add

geology in your search and you may be able to come up with the age of stuff

found there. It may seem overwhelming in the beginning but it will soon fall into

place. You just might get hooked and have 2 things you love to do outside.:D

Oh, welcome to the forum, btw..

Forgot to add the link for a fossil site you might wanna have..

UK Fossils

Welcome to the forum!

Thak you, its all very interesting. I will do a quick search in a mo. I thought that it wasnt a gastropod because ive had a quick look on some other sites and im sure there would be some sort of opening in it, but its just a solid object. Yes i like the outdoors, metal detecting is also a new hobby to me but again very interesting. You can never have too much knowledge.

Chris :D

ive had a look and i think its cretaceous and jurassic, theres a few quarrys that are 40 miles away but nothing close to where i found it. strange lol.

hi there and welcome. please post id requests in the fossil id forum. what is needed in this case is three good macro (very close up) photos, from the top, bottom, and side views, taken in bright sunlight so the autofocus on the camera works well. the shape is unusual, but does appear more echinoidesque (urchinly) than other things with which i'm familiar. but we have some members from the UK who may know exactly what it is, so please get a few good pictures and post them. it is also good to post a scale next to the item, and to state the general area in which it was found. nobody expects posters to give away the exact locations they're fossil hunting, but narrowing the info to a "county" helps members estimate what strata/formation may have been involved.

regards,

tracer

Hi tracer, and thank you. unfortunately that is my camera shot on macro, not very good im afraid. i could put another few pics up with scale, what should i use, a coin of some sort? the area i found it is the county of lincolnshire. if theres any other suggestions you could give me that could help you i.d it, please let me know. is it definately a fossil. thanks again. Chris

Edited by oasis

well, from my experience with cameras, they seem to focus best in bright light. at a minimum try to add a picture of the bottom of the thing. as far as size reference goes, many use a coin for convenience, but some feel a ruler or scale is best since viewers are from different countries and might not be familiar with the size of any given coin. by the way, i don't practice what i preach because i'm always just throwing pictures up here without any reference stuff, but i'm more careful when i really want id help. it will be interesting to see what others say that is.

edit: yay! you got an id already!

thanks guys, im a bit miffed, i was out looking for metal, and found a fossil lol. Thanks andy, is there any more info you could give, im just astonished that it was found a good 4 miles inland, as it was a sea dweling animal. or is that newbie thinking lol. i have enclosed a pic of the underside. Chrispost-2620-12619367974711_thumb.jpg

i understand, very mind boggling. ive found something 80 million years old. its quite interesting. as opposed to the age of the universe though, a blink of an eye. would there be more in the area, or do you think it was blind luck? Chris

thanks guys, im a bit miffed, i was out looking for metal, and found a fossil lol. Thanks andy, is there any more info you could give, im just astonished that it was found a good 4 miles inland, as it was a sea dweling animal. or is that newbie thinking lol. i have enclosed a pic of the underside. Chrispost-2620-12619367974711_thumb.jpg

was that metal detecting ? i have found some nice echinoids out detecting you will find more echinoid sp echinocorys ,micrasters and conulus , if theres chalk flint in the field look , 100-65 million year old sea bed......

yes it was metal detecting, i love it. its the first time ive ever found a fossil in my life though. like i said, ive only been metal detecting for about 4 months so was quite surprised. is that the period that it is from? is it common, and what else is there likely to be? it was a farmers field. im amazed lol. thanks chris

yes it was metal detecting, i love it. its the first time ive ever found a fossil in my life though. like i said, ive only been metal detecting for about 4 months so was quite surprised. is that the period that it is from? is it common, and what else is there likely to be? it was a farmers field. im amazed lol. thanks chris

well apart from all the roman coins and other great things your finding . yes that is the period it from cretaceouspost-473-12619396665576_thumb.jpg

so would this be irregular? ive just had a look with what name you gave me and from above, it almost looks like salenia geometrica. do you think theres more. im itching to get back out there now lol. Chris. P.S Nice pic.

ok andy, see u in two mins. and thanks micropterus, im chuffed to bits now lol. ill be out there 2moz. there is white deposits around the edge of where its ploughed. i think me has just found a new hobby! chris

nope, i think i have the bug lol. ive just tried to have a look at the close up and it says im not authorised to view the pics? are all echinoids individual? all the ones ive viewed seem to be quite smooth and rounded, while there seems to be alot of detail on the one ive found, is that unusual? Appreciate everyones time by the way. Chris

i can see your pics now andy. what area were yours found in? like a said, theres a quarry a good few miles from where i am, but nothing really near by.