My first trilobites!

A.C.

Fossil hunted with my college roommate today towards the deer lake region. Here is about 1/2 of my haul, will be excited to clean them and remove some matrix eventually and uncover them more!

Trilobites.png

Edited by A.C.
misspelled title
  • I found this Informative 10

Awesome finds! The trilo in the top left looks especially promising. Can't wait to see them finished. What's your prep setup?

Great finds!

Thanks for showing us. :) 

Be sure to update us when you have completed prep on them. :popcorn:

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

By any chance did you save any of the opposing rock?   I find that there is almost always a small piece or two in those rocks that you can transfer to the main rock and make for an absolute complete specimen.  Nice finds and Good luck

RB

• I found this Informative 1

Well done! Now you've been bitten by the bug... for more bugs! The shell colour preservation and the matrix seems very similar to Mahantango deposits. 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Congratulations on your first trilobite finds!!!  I hope this is just the tip of the iceberg! :d_good_luck:for future hunts!

13 hours ago, RJB said:

By any chance did you save any of the opposing rock?   I find that there is almost always a small piece or two in those rocks that you can transfer to the main rock and make for an absolute complete specimen.  Nice finds and Good luck

RB

No... I thought it was neat to see their imprints on the rocks but in the excitement, I chucked those to the side and took the main piece.

Better pics of the complete one's aren't letting me load in somehow... any ideas on why? Keeps giving 3.5mb error yet my computer shows it is less.

This looks like the internal mold of a gastropod to me:

Screen Shot 2020-09-06 at 10.44.45 PM.png

Re: picture-uploading issues...

Try refreshing your browser - that usually fixes the problem :)

• I found this Informative 1

Very cool! Congrats on your first trilobites! Can't wait to see them prepped! :) :b_wdremel:

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

Very nice finds, congratulations on finding a productive place to hunt. A lot of the old popular exposures were clobbered when the state widened rte 61 through that area a few years back