Some sort of bone from Calvert Cliffs, MD

Jame Stuart

Dear Fossil Forum Members,

My friend recently found this bone-looking piece on the beach near the St Marys formation at Calvert Cliffs. We have heard that many of the bones washing up are fragments of whale or dolphin bones. Since this piece is so big, we are thinking its some sort of whale bone. Could anyone please help verify this?

Sorry there are no proper forms of measurement, for reference the piece is roughy 4.5in (11.5cm) wide and 6.5in (17cm) long. Here are some photos:

IMG_2178.jpeg

Statistically speaking, whale would be a good guess. Bone fragment is all that can be said with any certainty though I think. There are other large animal bones, some terrestrial, that end up in those sediments.

• I found this Informative 1

15 hours ago, Rockwood said:

Statistically speaking, whale would be a good guess. Bone fragment is all that can be said with any certainty though I think. There are other large animal bones, some terrestrial, that end up in those sediments.

Thank you for the response!

15 hours ago, Rockwood said:

Do you think that this is very likely a fossil, and not just some old bone?

57 minutes ago, Jame Stuart said:

Do you think that this is very likely a fossil, and not just some old bone?

Until now I hadn't even considered that it might not be a fossil. Tap it lightly with a spoon. I expect the sound will be much the same as a piece of table china might make. Modern bone would sound duller, and more like wood.

4 hours ago, Rockwood said:

Until now I hadn't even considered that it might not be a fossil. Tap it lightly with a spoon. I expect the sound will be much the same as a piece of table china might make. Modern bone would sound duller, and more like wood.

Ok, thank you! It makes a clinking sound.